Pecan

This size tree is pretty typical for many of the lots in the small towns around here. Unfortunately, as lot sizes get smaller, more and more of these trees are removed.

The shells are missing the bumps that Forkert typically has.

Can anyone identify this pecan? There are pictures of the tree earlier in this thread. Im rather sure it is an Indian name. Also there is no pollinator around so it must be self pollinating.

2 Likes

Will you have scionwood available for the following pecans this winter? Baby B, Adams 5, Miss L.
Do you know the pollination type on Adams 5 and Miss L?

I will be collecting scionwood from Auburn sometime in January. I have Adams 5 in my yard and can get plenty of scionwood. I will put down to get some extra to share here. Get with me in January re the others.

I donā€™t know for sure the pollination type of Adams #5 but believe it to be type 1 with significant overlap of pollen shed with stigma receptivity. I donā€™t know re Miss L.

I spoke with Dan Shepherd yesterday. He mentioned some cold damage on his Kanza pecan trees in northern Missouri. I plan to use his Shepherd and Kanza seeds as rootstock going forward. Perhaps the Shepherd seedlings will have better cold hardiness for those further north.

1 Like

Itā€™s typical to see some light browning of the cambium on Kanza here or Hark. It never affects anything.

Heā€™s got the right gene pool for northern seed as youā€™ve probably become aware.

Dax

1 Like

I am looking for scions from a mature Carya aquatica. Does anyone have a source? I was reading through some of Darrelā€™s posts, which has me thinking of using the nuts from a grafted Water Hickory as a seed source for Lecont Hicans. This is for a very long term project. I have only identified Mockernut on our property. I would assume the pollen parent of Carya aquatica would be pecan due to the ploidy of Mockernut.

There were some large C. Aquatica near Raymond Mississippi. I have not seen any yet in Alabama though they are supposed to be common around Selma.

Trivia, I have found more species of hickory around Selma than anywhere Iā€™ve been. C. Cordiformis is in the area and C. Myristiciformis, C. Glabra, and C. Tomentosa can be found within a few feet of each other at this location on google maps. 32Ā°02ā€™51.3"N 87Ā°15ā€™37.1"W

1 Like

Oikos lists https://oikostreecrops.com/products/nut-trees/lecont-hican/ as being the fastest growing hican. I thought I remember you saying you started some hican seeds this past spring. Didnā€™t those show exceptional hybrid vigor? How would you rate the growth of your hican seedlings, and what was the cross?

I canā€™t positively identify the parents because the nuts share characteristics from pecan, aquatica, and nutmeg hickory. The tree is in South Alabama near Castleberry elementary school. Nuts are ovoid flattened looking similar in some ways to water hickory but with a white/tan shell similar to a shagbark. I got the nuts from Mike Carpenter. Seedlings ranged from very vigorous to a few that were weak. The best grew 4 feet tall as compared with 3 feet from the best pecans. I have about 16 seedlings in the greenhouse.

Thanks Darrel, would you say these images look like Carya aquatica?

1 Like

Those pics look very close. Hickories- Water hickory

Iā€™ve been trying to estimate the probability of getting a good quality scab resistant pecan from planting large numbers of seed. The odds are skewed in favor of scab resistance if at least one parent is highly scab resistant. The odds of getting a good quality pecan are improved if one or both parents produce good quality nuts. The best I can estimate, about 1 tree in 100 should be a pretty good. If I plant 4000 seedlings, about 40 of them would be good enough to propagate. The kicker is that there is a good possibility that 1 of the 40 would be an exceptionally good pecan that could be used in a wide region. Time will tell as I am preparing to plant 4000 pecan seed. Roughly 1/3 of them will be culled for poor growth rate. That should leave me with about 2500 seedlings to set out.

5 Likes

Of how many are Kanza seedlings?

Dax

Most of these will be Kanza seedliings. I have 5 gallons of other varieties such as Gafford, Syrup Mill, Forkert, and Caddo most of which came from bigmax. All told, I have about 25 gallons of pecans to plant.

1 Like

Thatā€™ll be an excellent project. Iā€™d love to watch something like that myself.

Dax

Darrell Sparks in his book, " Pecan Cultivars The Orchardā€™s Foundations", says leaf retention until frost is essential for minimizing alternate bearing. He classified them very poor, poor, fair, average good and very good.

This was an unusual year here, with dense wildfire smoke for about a month and a very long season. I usually have a hard freeze by the last week in October. This year the first hard freeze was on December 2. So each cultivar, except one, was able to retain it leaves as long as it could with no freeze to bring them down. This location is in Northwest California @ 3000 feet. I have 25 northern cultivars of which 18 of them are in the young fruiting age.

I measured each cultivar in relationship to the cultivar that lost it leaves first. So in this measurement Gibson was the first to drop its leaves on October 15. Next was Warren 346 on November 1 or +16 days.
Warren 346 +16
Shepherd +17
Colby +21
Green Island Beaver +22
Deerstand +23
Carlson 3 +26
Mullahay +27
Campbell +28
Peruque +28
Fisher +32
Posey +33
Kanza +36
Lucas +37
Hirschi +38
Osage +41
Pawnee +44
Mandan +48

The most precocious of the above has been Fisher with Lucas and Colby next in line.
I plan on measuring many characteristics each year.

1 Like

Last year with an early freeze I lost several Pecan grafts. I am looking to replace them and would be happy to trade any cultivars I have or purchase scions of the following; James pecan , Snaps Early pecan, Starking Hardy Giant pecan.

1 Like

Be careful interpreting what Darryl Sparks wrote to a climate significantly different from the climate he grew in. Also worth noting that I found several errors in his book most of which involved genetics of specific crosses.

It was tough finding a copy of his book.