Pecans, Walnuts, Hazelnuts - Middle Tennessee (recommendations)

Supposed to get my Grafted Kanza and Amling from Rock Bridge in May…

I have planting holes prepped and ready…

TNHunter

In regards to hazelnuts you should be looking more ate geneva releases (gene etc) as opposed to osu releases (jefferson yamhill etc) as the oregon ones are only resistant to one strain of blight (the one that has turned up on the westcoast decemating hazelnut orchards) whereas there are something like 3 strains back east…just figured you’d want to know/not waste time and money on plants that likely wont be successful

2 Likes

That’s the first I ever heard of them either…now I’ve got something else to look out for. Sorry about your lost pecans. It’s tough to nurse things along for years only to see nature take them out in an instance. Sometimes I think all we can do it plant a lot of things and hope some of them pan out.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, I was disappointed. I grew up in NE Texas with pecan trees everywhere, and then spent most of my adult life in the midwest and Pennsylvania. Finally getting back down south (N of Chattanooga, TN) and one of the first things I planted were the two pecans. Between the Japanese beetles, the ambrosia beetles, the stink bugs and now the SWD fly, it is getting a lot harder to succeed as a fruit grower than it used to be.

1 Like

I didn’t think about doing that. Good idea. I think I am done with pecans, though. By the time they would bear, I would be retired and moving on. I am spraying for ambrosia this year. They say it can take fruit trees or vines.

Does anyone know where to find seedlings of “Major”?

Pecan rootstock in general seems to be a pretty obscure market- far more than pecan trees themselves. It’s so easy to find rootstock selections for fleshy fruits. Is there a reason for this other than the comparatively weaker popularity of nut growing?

Are your trees yielding good crops already? If so, how many years did it take for them to start? Did it seem like one variety was more precocious than another? Is season length ever a problem with Amling for you?

If you’re cracking or thinking of cracking black walnuts with hand tools, it might be very worthwhile to try the named varieties. Between the bigger nut size and the greater ease with which they come out of the shell in larger pieces and sometimes also thinner shells, you might get a lot more nut meat for your efforts out of the named varieties.

There’s also Carya ovalis, false shagbark hickory, which if I believe also typically has 5 leaflets per leaf. And I don’t think it’s included in that Tennessee publication, even though I’m pretty sure it grows in Tennessee. I originally mistook the bark of false shagbark for shagbark (C. ovata) but the nut has noticeable differences and maybe the buds, too.

@cousinfloyd

The bark can be misleading in some cases… the tree shown above in my field… I was sure thinking shagbark… but when the nuts developed this year… they are pignut.

I have lots of red hickory… and several pignut… and have noticed the red hickory and pignut … the nut itself (minus the husk) are near identical… size shape nut meat… the husk on both is thin… the pignut has that classic pig snout… where the red does not. Info I found online says the pignut is often bitter and the red hickory is sweet… but so far every pignut I have tried has tasted just like the red hickory. I have found no bitter pignut yet.

If you can find a very large red hickory… the nuts can be quiet large. I found a couple huge red hickory the other day in one of my hollows and the nuts were 2x the size of others I had already collected. Older mature trees, had much larger nuts.

I heard someone on YouTube say that red hickory are often called false shag. They can get a little shaggy… but still not quite like a true shag bark.

But that one in my field… is a pignut… per the nut… (which normally has a more smoothed bark) but it is very shaggy by the bark. To me it is a false shag… for sure. I have not found any other pig nuts in my woods that have shaggy bark like that… think this one got crossed or confused or something.

I was quite disappointed when I found it had pignuts on it.

A couple comments from my attempt to ID a very similar tree that had me confused might be particularly of interest to you. The first comment is me quoting a retired dendrology professor that helped me out:

Carya Ovalis (Red Hickory) and Carya Glabra (Pignut Hickory) are often considered ecotypes of the same species. They cross readily where their growing range overlaps.