Permaculture Design magazine article on Growing food with warming temperatures

Informative table on temperature thresholds for various crops.

Permaculture_Design_Temp_Ranges_Various_Crops1.pdf (7.1 MB)

2 Likes

It’s more fun gardening in zone 6 than 5.
And supposedly I’m in zone 7 as of last month!
Bring it on!
Only problem is, they’ll have to change tables again once the next cooling trend arrives.
And that plant that says zone 7 hardy
is going to die next time it hits -30F like it has twice in the last 65 years here.

If one goes back to 1936, and studies farming and gardening, they already have
plenty of info on crops and their performance in a record hot year.

Interesting, but he is growing in a more humid area. I think the humidity makes an impact. Also, I may have missed this, but how long and how often would it hit that maximum temperature. Here in Texas, that temperature swings back and forth, but it may not linger at a really high or really low temperature for long. I think the number of times it hits that temperature and stays at it makes an impact.

CO2 levels are at their highest in at least half a million years. Considering CO2 resides in the atmosphere for at least 300 years according to NASA, so barring a large, unexpected decrease in output of the Sun, I don’t think youll have to worry about the plant hardiness zone in your area decreasing in your (or your great grand children’s) lifetime.

I doubt very seriously you’ll need to be concerned about 300 years on…all the rogue states that threaten to toss around some nuclear bomb,s at some point do more than threaten…don’t you suppose? That, or a spike in volcanoes, lots of things can reduce the sun’s output. Is there a paper or a media outlet that talks all day and night fretful about the odds those things might happen?

The ocean’s been rising 0.15 or so inches per year for many decades…if it spikes 6 inches suddenly I might be concerned about my beach home…(if I had one)…