Permethrin as a one-stop peach tree pesticide?

If it’s a brown marmorated stink bug, then it’s definitely not a good guy. See @alan’s post above, bad for stone fruit, and pears, from what I’ve read.

1 Like

Definitely. I’m going to have to look closely at the few kinds of stink bugs I see here.

Since I can’t see it from above, it may not be a SB, but it seems like it has that shape. Take a look at some pics of them online and see if they look similar to yours. I also don’t know if there’s more than one species of stinkbug’s, just the brown marmorated one.

They also feed on vegetables, like tomatoes, corn and peppers, so not a good bug to have around.

1 Like

There are some traps available.

1 Like

What would you think is best ? The traps or spraying ??? Or both??? If spraying what do you all suggest? Thanks

For bug ID, I strong recommend anyone posting your pics on this thread.

@LarryGene is our resident bug expert. Larry seems to be able to identify all the bugs :smile:

1 Like

I’d wait to see if others confirm it is a stinkbug.

As far as what to spray, I don’t know, I’m just now learning what to spray on my trees that are producing fruit for the first time. I sprayed Surround on my apples, plum and pears a couple days ago. It’s more of a deterrent, not an insecticide.

1 Like

It’s not the stinkbug I know of. The stinkbug here doesn’t have such strong claws on first pair of the legs. Although I could be wrong too.

Yeah, the legs are different than my normal stinkbugs. And mine’s bigger, too. Almost looks like a leaffoot bug stink bug cross, lol.

Could be that bugs might look different based on where we live? Or could be a different ( one of many) stinky bugs?

Because we also have those that are more común green stinky bugs!

Yeah, I just looked at some pics of those, it could be one of those. The bigger legs is the difference between it and a SB. The leaf foot bug is still a pest, more to veggies, like tomatoes, and nut trees.

2 Likes

Stinkbugs all have about the same shape. Squash bugs have a similar color as BMS, but BMS has the unusual pattern which I assume is defined as marmorated, although I’m unfamiliar with the word. In my orchard, green stinkbugs are the primary issue. They are not green when young, and are black with other colors.

1 Like

It’s a Coreidae family bug imo. A type of leaf footed true bug, closely related to stink bug. More specifically something close to euthochtha galeator (a type of squash bug).

I think it has it’s head ducked down in the first pic you posted, plus I think the angle pic isn’t head on. Notice the antenna are practically the same. Feet are the same. Markings on abdomen are the same (Notice the “4-1/2” marks on the abdomen.) Here is a pic of it from the internet.

A synthetic pyrethroid is pretty much instant death to true bugs and beetles. There are other insecticides which can offer some control of the pest, but pyrethroids would be my choice most of the time for this pest. There are a host of pyrethroids available, even for the backyard grower.

3 Likes

Delaware agriculture officials are quarantining 11 New Castle County ZIP codes to try to stop the spread of an invasive bug that threatens Delaware’s orchards, nurseries and forests. The spotted lanternfly was first found in Wilmington in late 2017. It had been discovered in Pennsylvania in 2014.

Spotted Lanternfly in Delaware

2 Likes

Hi Ruben, You have a lot of replies to your original question :slight_smile: . As far as identifying the insect you posted I am not an expert and I will let others talk to this. My assumption is that Olpea is right - some relative of the stink bug. But since you recently planted I assume you are not setting fruit now or trying to harvest fruit. Therefore to Alan’s point you are trying to protect foliage and bark (not fruit). I am not an expert but to my knowledge stink bug type insects do not normally do significant damage to foliage or bark. Someone chime in if I am wrong. My limited experience is mainly with Peaches and some with Apples, Pears, Cherries and a few plums. I live about two - three hours east of you in the Piedmont region of Virginia. In my region which should be somewhat similar to yours for insects and fungus issues. You are likely to run into these insects in our region - Plum Curcilio, Japanese Beetles, variety of stink bug type insects, peach tree borers and aphids (on apples). Japanese beetles can totally defoliate a younger tree (almost any type of fruit tree) and peach tree borers will attack the base of a fruit tree and potentially kill the tree if left unattended. Plum Curcilio generally cause damage to fruit as do stink bug family insects.

Japanese Beetles can be killed using malathion, carbaryl and other chemicals available at Lowes/Homedepot. Preventive chemicals are available for your yard that you spread prior to Japanese Beetle hatch. . Officially (university type studies) there is nothing that can kill peach tree borers available to the home orchard grower. Most people cut peach tree borers out by hand or dig them out by hand if the borers are below the ground. If you search these forums you will find a lot of info on peach tree borers. Unofficially I have read that permethrin will kill borers if the borers are not deep in the tree, but I have not seen permethrin labeled for peach tree borer use. There is also a home solution in the forum that protects against borers (I think it uses neem oil) but I have not tried it. Painting the trunks also helps against borers.

The only aphids I have seen are wooly aphids on apple trees in our area - there are success stories in the forums about X chemical killing wooly aphids but none seemed to work for me. So I just squish them with my fingers. Its messy but it works.

There are many other pests out there but I have never seen them in central Virginia.

Best of luck,

Spud

3 Likes

Thank you all so much for your input and information about this bug. And Thanks so much @SpudDaddy for your knowledgeable information about the pests on your area that it’s definitely going to help me out to what do or what chemicals to use.

1 Like

Sevin and pryethrin can be used as can triazcicide. .

2 Likes

After reading the article Alan posted i should have been more precise - there are preventive insecticides for Peach Tree borers but after the larvae bore under the bark I am not aware of any insecticide available to a home grower that will kill the larvae.

I have one key tip for you: look at the trunks of trees on your property starting in early spring. If you ever see toothpick looking sawdust sticks coming out of them, that is a red alert. Those are ambrosia beetles and can wipe out multiple orchard trees quickly!

It’s not terribly common, but it needs very quick action, so look up pictures, etc, so you know what to look for.