Persimmon bark, is this normal or pathological?

I’m about to buy this persimmon tree, Chocolate. It was in ground but put in maybe 5 gallon pot in spring. 8 feet tall.

Are these dark areas of bark just transitioning to mature, or is it a problem?

The 2nd to last picture, the one before the whole tree, especially.

1 Like

I would be more concerned about the roots. At eight feet tall it is highly unlikely they dug it up without doing massive damage to the roots. Persimmons do not recover well from root damage. See if you can pull it out of the pot and inspect the roots. If they look good there is a good chance of outgrowing the upper problems when it gets established. To me it is all about the price. If cheap enough just gamble on it.

1 Like

Well it seems to have held its foliage through the summer, and produced 1 full sized fruit.

It’s $100. Good deal for a large tree, but not if it will perform worse than a small one.

Here’s a picture of the fruit? Does it look like Maru? One Green World sells a tree they call “Chocolate” but in the description they say also called Maru.

The Chocolate from Dave W Wilson is more bullet shaped. I have a Chocolate graft that made a couple tiny fruit, they were bullet shaped. Long and skinny.

https://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/chocolate-persimmon

https://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/maru-persimmon

1 Like

I would still focus on the roots. If it can be pulled out of the pot you should be good to go. If it does not want to pull out and feels like the dirt is giving I would let it go. Many trees will leaf out and fruit as their last effort to replicate before dying. Price is about on par for the size potted. Piece of advice from my experience. It is better to start with a smaller undamaged root system than a much larger tree with a damaged root system. The small tree will over take the larger one in 2-3 years.

Thanks for the replies. I opted out on the tree, I’d be willing to risk it if not for the drive, or if I had more time.

For whatever reason how it grew this horrible intersection and this is the only problem with the tree except for any disguised (unintentional) root-issues, this tree would need cut below the entire intersection that is showing “seeping rot” and retrained into a new-tree, again.

Dax

2 Likes

To point out. This was done wrong, also. It could be fixed with a flush cut because there’s live tissue ahead of the cut, yet.

1 Like

For me it’s normal. Some of mine look like yours.

1 Like

Yes, that’s a pretty bad stub. But the first cut you suggested would take care of that , since this is above that :slight_smile:

1 Like

ha ha! Good one!

Dax

Looks like some of my trees.

Agreed. Persimmons can develop some funky looking bark. I think the tree looks pretty healthy despite being dug up.

1 Like