Persimmon dead, need recommendation for nurseries

Hello everyone,

I am located in Seattle. After three years of doing nothing, my Saijo persimmon from restoring Eden nursery is finally dead. I gave it everything - sunlight, water, water, soil…

I am thinking of replacing it with a Nikita’s gift.

A. Is it too late to plant a persimmon bow?
B. Any recommendations for nurseries?

You need to get a pooted tree at this time of the year.

1 Like

Nurseries in zone 5 could have sleeping persimmon. But in-stock would be the main issue.

1 Like

One Green World has a few Asian persimmons that appear to be in stock, in 1 or 2 gal containers.

Cardinal, Hachiya, Early Jiro

And a few Americans… Prarie (Dawn, Gem, Star).

NG is out of stock.

I have a graft of NG to a wild DV out in my field… but it has not done much yet… just a little bud swell.

And right beside it this graft of Kassandra… that is looking pretty good.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. @TNHunter , checking out one green world now. Thank you for the pointer. I wonder if early jiro will ripen in Seattle…

Most nurseries that sell bare root dig stock in the fall and store in walk in coolers from what I understand. So you should be fine getting a bare root. The remaining stock may not be the best quality at this stage in the game though.

1 Like

I’m in western Washington south of Seattle. I’ve planted grafted persimmons three times and they’ve died each time (different spot each time). Meanwhile seed grown persimmons are doing great here. I can’t come up with a solid explanation for why.

1 Like

I had the same issue years ago when I was still buying trees. If your grafted ones are anything like the ones I’ve purchased, they have a severed taproot and minimal fine roots. The root system of a persimmon is so fibrous and they’re taprooted left to their own devices. As such, it really doesn’t take well to digging. At best, you need to nurse it along for several years before it really takes off. I’d suggest raising seedlings and grafting them. Short of that, try raising the boughten tree in primo soil in a container for a year or more, then plant it out.

1 Like

The most recent one to die was stabilized in a pot for a year prior to planting and then survived more than a year after that in ground. My plan is to just over plant the seedlings and then remove any extra males and poor quality females once it’s known which are which. If I end up with nothing good then grafting is still an option.

1 Like

They really are very tough trees in many ways, but they’re pretty tender as bare root. If you try to bench graft them, the way you would an apple, you find they really don’t appreciate it much. They really need 2-3 yrs to get their roots down, then they shoot up and are pretty invincible

2 Likes