Persimmon hardiness trials at Threefold Farm (6b/7a South Central PA)

@timclymer Hi Tim. I hope things are going well. Any updates on how your trees fared after this past winter?

1 Like

This is interesting because my Chocolate never gets any dieback at all in Zone 6 (behind my house) but the Hachiya died completely.

Are you sure that your zone is still 6b, not 7a with the new USDA map?

I don’t think that one list is super meaningful, there is too much random factor in just one year. Chocolate and Hachiya are both not super hardy based on my and others’ experiences over many more years; I have had big dieback or death on both of them.

Persimmons generally seem prone to more random behavior than other fruit trees. I had a bunch of shoot dieback on one variety last summer, no idea why. I had supposedly super hardy varieties that seemed healthy just up and die for no reason. I had varieties get stunted and not grow much at all for years.

1 Like

I think it said I was 6b… do you have the link to the new one?

If I’m zone 7 now that’s going to open a lot of new purchases :joy: Pretty sure I’m zone 6b. I think I got my Chocolate from Raintree.

It is buried in this thread.

You can google it, too.

Like @scottfsmith said, persimmons may die unexpectedly. My 7 year old Nikita’s Gift did not wake up last year. I am in zone 6a.

I did google it but was showing 6b so thought maybe I was using an old one. Still 6b

Glad you Chocolate has survived. You may have a microclimate there. I don’t want to be negative but I think Chocolate is iffy for 6b.

Scott is is 7a so his climate is warmer for non astringent persimmons but he still got some to die after several years.