Persimmon mother load

Thanks!!! Didn’t need to use medical abbreviations either……

2 Likes

I dont know for sure yet when these will ripen… my nephew who mows her yard thinks end of Sept or early October…

He has eaten them and says very good.

My wife and I will be celebrating 32 years of marriage… with a trip to Colorado… 8 days… mid-late September. Hope they ripen after we get back.

TNHunter

2 Likes

That recipe sounds like one I have for zucchini bread except it calls for persimmon pulp in place of shredded zucchini. Same basic ingredients anyway. So I could use persimmon, applesauce, pureed pears, pureed peaches ect. Just wondering how I can stretch this recipe to use on other fruits besides persimmon. I imagine it would work for lots of different fruits depending on what is in season.

Thanks for sharing it!

1 Like

Checked the persimmon trees yesterday…

Not quite ready yet.

I did try a couple that had dropped… one tasted good… the second was still quite astringent.

Most of the fruit is still hanging on the trees… showing a little orange tint.

I will keep checking…

6 Likes

After they are more ripe you can take a long stick and bang the limbs and many will fall to the ground. Or if you have a limber kid to climb up and kick the branches. Those are some nice trees. My tallest one is only six foot leaving me still picking wilds off the sides of back roads.

1 Like

@Robert — thanks for the tips… I have never harvested persimmons in large quantity before. I got a very nice dehydrator for my birthday earlier this month… going to try it out on some of those persimmons.

2 Likes

How well does that work? Any pulp loss in the trash pile? Does it remove most of the skin? I was going to get one but they no longer sell them. Have to find something similar.

1 Like

@Robert… my wife ordered me a roma food mill online last week… several places she checked were out of stock… but she did find one eventually.

I will check on where she ordered from and let you know.

both were in stock when we ordered…
Note some places we found it it was called Roma, other places Weston… other places Weston Roma…
Perhaps the ownership is changing hands, not sure.

Well… checked on the persimmons this eve…

The trees were still loaded with fruit… but some was ready and still hanging. Just a slight pull/twist and they came right off.
I also found several on the ground that looked good… and some that were over ripe and rottening. Yellowjackets honeybees wasps so happy to get those.

Couple pics of the tree and fruit on the trees…

If you look past the close ones the higher up limbs are loaded still.

Below are a few I harvested… some of those are over ripe and going to save seeds from them

I ate several and many had very good flavor with just a tiny of astringency that you noticed a few seconds after you ate them. Not bad at all… a few I ate had no astringency at all… very sweet quite yummy.

Each fruit seems to have anywhere from 5 to 7 seeds.

Hope to be able to dehydrate some this week.

My roma / Weston food mill … we got an email saying it shipped… and they dinged our credit card… then a few days later another email saying out of stock… and they reversed the charge on our card.

Bummer… no food mill.

2 Likes

Several pop up on ebay if you search under “Weston tomato press”. But I have no idea if that is the same you were looking at or if the prices are good. It might be people reselling the last ones at a premium?

I noticed quite a few trees loaded with persimmons last week in Seveir Co.
Tennessee. And a bunch Friday in rural Laurel County in Kentucky.
Good crops for deer and wildlife. Plenty walnuts. Acorns, not quite so much, but still a decent crop on most mature trees.

For anyone looking for a food mill, they DO make them for kitchen aid mixers too. So if you have one of those, you don’t need an entire new tool, just the attachment. Bonus- it’s electric instead of hand crank.

I processed several by hand… ended up with way more seeds than pulp. Kept a few whole for fresh eating.

Split one seed… see that spoon ???

Lots of snow this winter.

3 Likes

Oh, I thought it meant the Cubs would win the world series. The seed lies! :slight_smile:

I looked at those. They are not quite the same when dealing with seeds and skins.

There are a ton of different ones available on Amazon (I am sure other stores carry them). If I was going to go for one, I’d probably look for something industrial grade with a metal center spiral piece like I used to make sauce at the pizza shop. I’m not sure it exists, but I’d be surprised if it didn’t.

In no way am I calling you out Robert, but have you actually used both to compare? I’m genuinely curious if there is a significant difference in quality /capabilities between the two options.

I have been looking at them for a while as well as watching video’s of people using them. Everyone processing things with seeds were using the Roma. It’s the ends where the trash comes out. Most just have little holes that will not allow the seeds while the Roma had a big opening. I’m looking to buy one as well and want to make sure I get one that does what I want it for.

I think I understand, I’ll plan to do the review thing prior to purchasing if I do decide to get one. Would cutting the final spiral off as previously mentioned here accomplish the same goal as the Roma hole?

I’m surprised no one on here has commented on one that works well. I could not find a single video of anyone using anything other than the Roma for american persimmons. You can see the openings on the others are too small for seeds. I could be wrong though and they work just fine.

1 Like

Well without a processor for these… the best tool I have found for getting the most persimmon pulp out of one… is well… my mouth.

I can pop the top… pull the skin back… squish all that pulp and seeds into my mouth work it over some and eventually get all that pulp swallowed and spit out the seeds.

These wild ones have plenty of seeds… I bet half the volume inside the skin is seeds.

Somewhat similar to eating wild muscadines.

Ate several more today… very good.

Have a good seed collection too… may use some to produce seedlings for grafting.

3 Likes