Persimmon mother load

Have you tried one of those cheap hand crank food mills that you set on top of a bowl? Pretty sure they have them at walmart. I was considering trying one myself. Do they have the caramel taste?

My potted Tam Kam fruits are turning yellow now.

So did the fig leaves.

7 Likes

Another birthday party at my sisters today…

On the shady side of her trees… still lots of fruit. I ate several… off the ground… very good still.

8 Likes

Went by my sisters today and checked her persimmon trees. Lots of fruit on them again. Found a few soft and ripe looking… going to give them some counter time before trying them.

May try one after a week and see how it goes.

10 Likes

Are those cromosome 90? Im betting so? Nice!

@noogy … not sure about that…

They are just wild american native to TN persimmon trees.

I ate several last year… very good once the astringency is gone.

1 Like

Picking wilds soon myself. Wilds taste great, just to many seeds. I’ve been dying to try them in pie.

I need to locate some seeded local wild trees to grow my own rootstock. I may have to take the initiative to plant them somewhere myself haha.

2 Likes

They’re not the fastest growing plant…and over 50% will likely be males.

Theoretically, TN Hunter’s native persimmons should all be of the 60 chromosome race.

I don’t have a good mill…just dump them in a colander and mash with a potato masher until most all the pulp is forced through the holes. Freeze pulp for later use.
I have made persimmon fruit leather in both the dehydrator and oven. Have also dehydrated persimmons, but you’ll need to either squash them sort of flat, or cut them in half or quarters.

4 Likes

Their juvenile-vigor is quite-impressive if we were to rate speed of growth on 1-10. It’s up there at 8…

1 Like

@BlueBerry @Barkslip

I planted seeds from my sisters persimmons last fall…

One of those seeds is 42 inches now… and we still have a month or more of growing season left here.

They may grow faster with southern heat.
Mulberry is faster… but persimmon is not what i would call slow here.

4 Likes

water alone will grow 30" plus. that’s no compost tea, or compost, ferts etc-

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. I’ve not planted persimmon…but I’ve observed many in the wild over many years.

1 Like

Well those wild american persimmons that I collected from my sisters nice mature trees last Saturday… i left them in a plate on the counter (under glass) all week… they darkened a bit color wise.

This morning i cut a couple of them to check the inside… and found this.

Awesome for wild fruit… I would say.

Not any astringency left either… tasted great, very complex… something to savor.

I need to go back to her house and get more of these.

PS… i am going to save some seeds from these again this year… last year i saved several and traded some… and planted 3 seeds myself in the fall… in a container that stayed outside all winter… and all 3 sprouted this spring.

If anyone needs wild american seeds this fall… i should have several to trade or give away.

4 Likes

Very, very, very awesome.

Well… my sister Tooie called me this evening… a storm rolled thru this morning and took out the wifi on her work at home computer. I went over to her house to check it out… got her back online with a ethernet cable… she thought it was a miracle :wink:

Anyway this is my sister with the very nice mature wild american persimmon trees in her yard.

There you go… “Rich Tooie” persimmon trees.

Notice those limbs bending down.

Some of those rich tooie persimmons are 2x the size of my wilds here at my place now.

Looks like its going to be a very abundant extra good year for my sisters persimmons.

12 Likes

I’ve seen persimmons that were twice the size of ordinary wild fruit. Almost always it is a combination of lower fruit load, better soil nutrients, or more rainfall. I’m guessing her trees are producing larger fruit in part because they have plenty of sunlight and from higher than normal rainfall.

I also know of a wild persimmon that produces 2 inch diameter fruit year in year out regardless of conditions. Wonder what it would do if I grafted it on a rootstock with all the sunlight, nutrients, and water it could use?

p.s. Rich tooie needs a round tuit.

@Fusion_power the last 3 years … since i noticed her persimmons… they have had a very good fruit set each year. This year seems to be best so far… limbs loaded with fruit… more than usual and fruit size is up too. Some are whoppers for wild americans.

This year in July and so far in August… we have gotten some very good heavy rains… no real dry spells in July or Aug… and that is not always the case.

I have a graft of “rich tooie” growing at my place now. I hope that extra rich caramel aftertaste and large fruit size comes with the scion. It is growing nicely and on a large rootstock… so hopefully in a year or two… i get some rich tooie fruit here.

Cant wait to harvest and eat those whopper persimmons this fall from her trees.

I have my doubts that WS8-10, H63A, 100-46, Mohler, Prok… are going to taste better… but if they do… oh man… going to love that.

5 Likes

Rich Tooie is loaded again this year.
Zoom in on that pic… thousands of persimmons on that tree.

Mmmmmm Good.
They start ripening mid Sept… and continue for a bit over a month… with the persimmons on the north side of the tree ripening last.

11 Likes