Persimmons 2021

At what rate and how are you applying manganese? My soil test in one area said that I’m low on manganese, but that’s a different story :slight_smile:

On a good producing tree, I mix whatever the package/bottle says. I mix a 5 gl bucket water with a couple tsp manganese.water around the drip line.Bought a small flask of this stuff. You use dry stuff. I prefer fluids. Same thing.

1 Like

Thanks. My package says 1/2 lb per large tree whatever on earth that means. I guess my ants think they are large trees. I was hoping to see instructions similar to the rate you are describing.

Potted Tam Kam non-astringent Kaki fruits are looking good.

14 Likes

I am getting one of those in a week or two. Are they fast growers? How do they compare to fuyu in taste?

My are potted so I pruned them small. Tam Kam is a bit hardier and a little sweeter then Fuyu. Most Kaki had 2 growth spurt and fairly fast growing.

2 Likes

So unfortunate to see this. This happens to some of mine too… they never take a scion well.

2 Likes

I’ve had good luck with the sprouts. I find that they tend to grow really well. I dig them up in the fall when dormant, transfer to a pot in the winter, and graft in the spring.

3 Likes

A potted persimmon tree doesn’t need a taproot. Besides they get watered all the time. In the ground, in drought conditions the taproot is their lifeline.They go deep. They take grafting easily.

1 Like

My Sovietski hybrid looks like its about to send out some new growth! That would be great for some scion to graft/share. For comparrison, Mr Cliff estimated it at approx 4F colder hardy than Nikita’s Gift so that should make it dependable for a lot of the middle of zone 6 where Nikita’s gift eventually fails… I wish i had more info on it but its supposed to have a lot of kaki traits, its leaves look just like kaki. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

The first persimmons are starting the color up here. This is my Nishimura Wase/Coffeecake.

I’ll likely have to wait for these to soften or remove the astringency artificially. It’s unlikely that they got pollinated this year to bring out their pollination variant trait.

20 Likes

Nice looking Kaki fruits Andrew. Bravo :grin:

3 Likes

Do you grow this one, Tony? It seems very precocious, and doesn’t drop many fruitlets. I planted it in 2019. There are many kaki fruit this year from various trees. Only 100-46 held onto fruit in terms of American persimmons.

1 Like

I wish I lived in a warmer zone just so I can grow more tasty persimmons.

Here is my one and lonely Rojo Brillante. Not sure when it will ripen.

16 Likes

I grafted a branch of Coffee Cake and Chocolate to my Tam Kam. The CC died this Spring but the Chocolate is alive to pollinate my Tam Kam.

8 Likes

I think you ought to think about moving a little further south in the future. How is your Kasandra doing?

1 Like

Kassandra is doing well and still in pot as I try to figure out where it should be in ground.

3 Likes

I am impressed that my RB is quite big. Could be because it is the only fruit on the potted tree.

2 Likes

The RB fruit is quite large and just as big as Hachiya.

2 Likes

I hope Rojo Brillante is hardy enough for my climate. A lot of my astringent varieties seem to bear smaller fruit with nothing nearing the size of an average Hachiya so far this year. Maybe I need to lower my expectations, and goals. @RUenvsci is your Sestronka fruiting this year?

1 Like