Persimmons 2021

My grafted ones look like yours. Should be coloring soon. I was in Manassas looking at some wilds and they were about 50% colored.

1 Like

I’ve only got one on my tree too. I’m really hoping nothing gets to it before I do!

1 Like

Is your RB large? Usually fruit in pots are smaller than in ground. My RB is a size of a medium apple. I am impressed.

Yours will likely ripen about a week ahead of mine. Is yours in pot, too? I will put a strong nylon bag on it. At least, it will protect against pecking from birds or drilling from yellow jackets. Nothing against squirrels, unfortunately.

1 Like

Pretty large compared to the other persimmons at this point – maybe about half as large as I’ve seen them in the store. Mine is in ground. I grew it in a pot for three or four years, then this spring I decided to plant it in the ground so I wouldn’t have to baby it anymore. I’m hoping it’s mature enough that it can handle a mild winter here. But who really knows. The only four I’m still growing in pots at this point are Giombo (because it’s so good), Huk Gam, Sung Hui, and Izu (because I think those three have good potential for making hybrid seedlings from). I also have One Green World’s Cardinal persimmon in a pot for now, but I might try to get that one in ground too.

3 Likes

I think you have a better chance than me for RB to survive. I am in a higher elevation and colder.

I have one unknown persimmon on my potted tree. It got some damage but continue to grow. I remember grafting a Prok, a Giombo and, maybe, another variety to that tree. Prok graft took but Giombo failed.

It is a small fruit with a squat shape. Can you tell what it is?

4 Likes

It’s hard to tell because of the damage, but maybe 100-46? I may have sent you that one.

It could be. Because I had a few failed persimmon grafts so I have confused myself. :grin:

1 Like

Thought this was interesting. We went to cape May last week for vacation. We stayed on the bay side. While walking my dog, I noticed a bunch of clusters of trees which looked like persimmons.

Upon closer inspection I found persimmon fruit, whole clusters of them, not ripe yet. Again this was on the sand dunes between the bay and the houses.

There were also beach plums, which were ripe but not tasty and plenty of blueberry bushes that had no fruit this late in season.

16 Likes

An animal got to it while it was still very green.

Is that close enough that you can go back there in a few weeks when they’re ripe?

No, Cape May is 2 and a half hours away. Sorry

I don’t understand what the problem is. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just discovered a stand of wild persimmons adjacent to my property. I’m SOO excited. There are seedlings everywhere and even some fairly mature around 20ft tall tree with fruit over there. How well do persimmon do with transporting (i already have permission to dig the persimmons as I know the owner of the land). I assume it’s best to wait until Jan or so (9a zone). Could i transplant and then immediately try to graft? or should i give them a season in the ground and then try grafting? what might be the best grafting technique… lop the top off and bark graft?

Nikita’s gift is beautiful and very productive this year. One of the best varieties I’ve tasted.

12 Likes

Rojo Brillante is very productive— to the point where the fruit load breaks branches. I have to use many supports to protect the tree.

The one concern is whether it will ripen properly in cool summer Seattle. If it does, I have a perfect spot for it in ground.
It is currently in a 15 gallon pot with 40 fruits.

11 Likes

H63a is already showing a lot of color. It may be an early variety

13 Likes

I found my single Nikita’s Gift fruit on the ground today :frowning:

On your H118, do you eat the skin?

@murky, yes I do. It is a bit astringent especially near the calyx but no worse than hachiya.

@ramv in terms of eating qualities, how do you rank rojo brilliante vs nikita’s gift and hachia? I’ve tasted RB and hachia but never nikita’s gift, which i have a 1 year old tree of.

I only tried Rojo Brillante once – fruits were shipped to me by a friend.
They were not very ripe and broke in transit so they didnt ripen too well.

I have also tried RB where astringency was artificially removed – they are sold as percinnamons. Pretty average in my opinion.

3 Likes

And my RB tree is also in a 15 gallon pot with one fruit!!

@ramv, please spill your secret :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes