Persimmons 2022

Due to an unusually warm October my Hao River displayed some burgundy before the fruits fully ripened.
I thought they never would, but I am glad that they did…

23 Likes

Dang… Gorgeous pictures!

1 Like

@jcguarneri … earlier in this thread… you mentioned (baking soda) and how that would not work (with traditional jam making) which relies on lowering ph.

https://growingfruit.org/t/fresh-berry-fruit-chia-jam-low-sugar/46203/8

Check out the low sugar chia jam recipe above… it is the only kind of jam i make… i have to keep the carbs very low since my body reacts badly to excess carbs.

In this jam recipe… you do heat/simmer the fresh fruit for 7-8 min… then you take off the heat and add juice of half a lemon… sweetner of your choice (we use mostly coconut palm sugar or organic maple syrup) and two tablespoons of chia seeds.

It thickens up nicely and makes a great fresh jam.

You can keep it in the fridge for a week or two… or freeze it for up to a year… then thaw and eat.

You could add baking soda to this recipe when making persimmon jam.

I wonder if that would help keep the astringency from coming back.

I hope to collect enough fruit to make a pint soon. I will report back on the results when i do.

“I have used persimmons that still had a bit of astringency. Seems the baking soda is supposed to take care of that. Something does because it goes away in the baking.”

Notice Katy’s persimmon bread recipe… includes 1 tbs of baking soda and her comments on the asteingency being taken care of.

5 Likes

Picked a few wilds on my place today. I have them somewhat sorted… least ripe on the right… most ripe on the left.

Notice the two lower left with a bit of red tint to them… love that color.

Goal is to make some low sugar chia persimmon jam with most of these.

8 Likes

Hi
congratulations on the brilliant results with persimmons. We live in a quite similar climate (I am a bit cooler) and I wanted to ask you which hybrids ripen without any problems, almost always? similarly. I wanted to ask you how with the American ones that work well for you?

To all - what you think - which hybrids arr the earliest-ripening and same with the American?

maybe we would try to make some form of summarizing the order of persimmon ripening?
I think all northern growers would appreciate this information

@atheist … there are some details on ripening times for a few varieties at the post below.

Thanks for the link. Perhaps I misspelled myself. I thought about collecting the data in a partially scientifically accurate way, but not taking too much time for forum members. In terms of basic data such as variety / start date / year / region. of course you could add flowering time, pollination, fruit weight, brix, rippening period roughly to SAT / GDD (simple for me, my weather station does it for me) but it is unlikely to be done on such a grand scale. The data on rippening are highly divergent(pawpaw also); for people with a shorter / cooler season, they can make a big difference when choosing a variety to plant.

1 Like

haven’t picked for a few days. The rains have started.

These are the H118 that were soft and could be reached from the ground.

9 Likes

We actually started something about that last fall, and I completely forgot about it until now.

If anyone wants to add their data for this year, please go right ahead!

2 Likes

You should add if a variety struggles to lose astringency. That’s a real down side to many varieties.

Great idea. Only more growers needed, willing to share their data. As soon as i will have mine data, will share with you. Regards

I ate one of the two Lehman’s Delight persimmons I harvested about a week ago. It had softened up nicely on the counter.

Very nice rich flavor.

I found two seeds that looked fully filled out, so I guess that means I have at least some male 90-chromosome trees in the area. I wasn’t sure if they were 60 or 90 and thought at least the closest ones I know of were 60s since they had more of a tall timber form some had suggested meant likely to be 60s.

Does that mean hybrids might be seeded here as well?

10 Likes

Somehow I though Lehman’s Delight was bigger. Two seeds is not bad considering the wilds are filled with them.

When you get more try letting some get even more wrinkly. I believe the flavor improves the longer they set.

1 Like

They seemed pretty good size to me, but maybe they’ll be bigger when the tree gets bigger. The tree is only 2 and 1/2 feet tall so I probably should have removed them, but wanted a taste.

7 Likes

Looks bigger in your hand. Does it have the wild flavor or something else? I’ve left the fruit on plenty of times. Usually it’s a one off and they don’t fruit again for a couple more years after. I grafted LD this year, but deer took one and the other only did like 2 inches of growth. Doubtful it will make it.

Sorry but I haven’t really had enough wilds to know for sure. And the ones I’ve had usually still had some astringency. You’ll have to let me know what you think when you get some.

The area around my home has a large population of persimmons. I see two different types of bark on mature fruiting trees which suggests something is going on with the genetics. One tree beside my house has a huge load this year. Seed are abundant with 8 to 12 in each fruit, however, the seed are not fully filled out. They are flat although otherwise the size of a small to medium persimmon seed. I’m curious if anyone else has had persimmons that can’t seem to make normal seed?

TNHunter, there is a very nice wild persimmon tree at Colbert Ferry park on Natchez Trace. Put in these coordinates and google will pinpoint it.
34.833890, -87.948571

What makes it unusual? 1.5 to 2 inch diameter fruit that have minimal astringency when they fall from the tree. They lose all astringency if kept on a counter for a few days.

3 Likes

If it’s a worthwhile effort, scion could be collected and distributed!

1 Like

100-42 persimmons from a tree I bought from @Barkslip .

11 Likes

21 Likes