Persimmons 2022

Looks like I just lost 100s of fruit to broken branches.
One little windstorm is all it took to destroy half the tree. The variety is Jiro
Any chance this will ripen?

4 Likes

Brown paper bag with an apple or a babana inside. They should ripen for you.

3 Likes

Those will ripen. The Jiro from California in the grocery stores are picked greener than that.

4 Likes

FWIW, a few weeks ago, I lost a few branches on the hybrid Kassandra. The branches are not completely severed; they remain slightly attached by small strips of bark. The fruits appear to be ripening just as fast as fruits on fully intact branches. I thought that they might ripen faster, but no.

1 Like

I brought all the branches in and put them in the garage. It’s a bit warmer than outdoors in the garage but not as warm as indoors. Hopefully they will ripen there.

1 Like

Picked a few more wilds this evening…

6 Likes

I’ve lived in southeastern Pennsylvania my whole life, and not once have I seen a wild persimmon! You’re lucky!

1 Like

I was going to say you could try to pull all fruits and splint the tree to hope for a repair…

2 Likes

@Yoda … yes … persimmon rich here. They grow all over. I have 50+ seedlings in my 3 acres of clearing and several small trees (8-20 ft) in the edge of the woods around my clearings. I have selected 7 of those to graft to next spring.

My sister has 3 or 4 nice mature trees at her place… 2 which are in full sun location and they produce some really nice fruit.

@ramv … hate that about your tree. Hope it recovers quickly.

I have been ripening mine like this… room temp, on the counter, under glass. It has worked well.

3 Likes

My sole nishimura Wase. It’s quite large and quite certainly seeded

12 Likes

I’m thinking of top working that tree. It is productive and reasonably tasty. But like all PCNA varieties, is not as sweet/aromatic as the PVNA or astringent varieties.

1 Like

Nice, its based on the size and shape that you anticipate seeds?

I can’t see any orange fruit on mine any more, looking out the window. I hope they are just hiding under the leaves. Haven’t been out there in a few days.

But none of mine are pollenated.

There was an earlier post here that said that if the fruit was flattish(like Fuyu), it was likely not pollinated. But if it bulged out at bottom(like Hachiya) it was pollinated.

I am not certain this is true but there was a Maru in full bloom nearby so I think it may be pollinated.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m referring to that other post. So sounds like those are the cues you are using.

I checked this morning. Something agile took all of 5 or so remaining Nishimura Wase persimmons while still astringed.

They appear not to have touched the same color Nikita’s Gift or Fuyugaki, the latter of which won’t have been astringent. Nor have they taken the H118, some of which are ripe.

Due to an unusually warm October my Hao River displayed some burgundy before the fruits fully ripened.
I thought they never would, but I am glad that they did…

23 Likes

Dang… Gorgeous pictures!

1 Like

@jcguarneri … earlier in this thread… you mentioned (baking soda) and how that would not work (with traditional jam making) which relies on lowering ph.

https://growingfruit.org/t/fresh-berry-fruit-chia-jam-low-sugar/46203/8

Check out the low sugar chia jam recipe above… it is the only kind of jam i make… i have to keep the carbs very low since my body reacts badly to excess carbs.

In this jam recipe… you do heat/simmer the fresh fruit for 7-8 min… then you take off the heat and add juice of half a lemon… sweetner of your choice (we use mostly coconut palm sugar or organic maple syrup) and two tablespoons of chia seeds.

It thickens up nicely and makes a great fresh jam.

You can keep it in the fridge for a week or two… or freeze it for up to a year… then thaw and eat.

You could add baking soda to this recipe when making persimmon jam.

I wonder if that would help keep the astringency from coming back.

I hope to collect enough fruit to make a pint soon. I will report back on the results when i do.

“I have used persimmons that still had a bit of astringency. Seems the baking soda is supposed to take care of that. Something does because it goes away in the baking.”

Notice Katy’s persimmon bread recipe… includes 1 tbs of baking soda and her comments on the asteingency being taken care of.

5 Likes

Picked a few wilds on my place today. I have them somewhat sorted… least ripe on the right… most ripe on the left.

Notice the two lower left with a bit of red tint to them… love that color.

Goal is to make some low sugar chia persimmon jam with most of these.

8 Likes

Hi
congratulations on the brilliant results with persimmons. We live in a quite similar climate (I am a bit cooler) and I wanted to ask you which hybrids ripen without any problems, almost always? similarly. I wanted to ask you how with the American ones that work well for you?

To all - what you think - which hybrids arr the earliest-ripening and same with the American?

maybe we would try to make some form of summarizing the order of persimmon ripening?
I think all northern growers would appreciate this information

@atheist … there are some details on ripening times for a few varieties at the post below.