Persimmons 2022

@Hillbillyhort they die after mild winters to the root. especially those from the furthest south such as GA.

@jrd51 Morris is #1, Lena is a tie to Morris, H-63A might be as good. Two people on this group report WS8-10 at England’s Orchard and Nursery having tasted it there as their favorite American persimmon.

It’s easy for me to remember. There’s no mistaking my memory at this point.

Best,

5 Likes

Has anyone grown and eaten a Sestronka (NB-21) hybrid persimmon? I know it isn’t very hardy compared to most hybrids, but the description of size and flavor make it sound great for those who can grow it. I just never see any pictures, reviews, etc.

I’d love to hear any reports about Maru Zenji as well.

This is the first year my Persimmons are fruiting. first impressions from early ripened and fallen fruit. NG is better tasting than Prok. David’s Kandy is not ripe yet.

Nikita’s Gift:

Prok:

David’s Kandy:

16 Likes

Nice!

@RUenvsci Has fruited it before and had positive comments from what I recall.

1 Like

Thanks @PharmerDrewee for referencing me! Sestronka is a good variety. Flavor is excellent and size of fruit is a huge plus. Reminds me of hachiya in shape and size but rounder and redder. The downside is that has a slower growth rate and doesn’t hold onto much fruit. I had only one fruit last year and all fell this year likely due to white flies. It has been in the ground since about 2016. If I were to replant it, it would be as an ornamental tree by itself as part of landscaping, as opposed to production purposes.

1 Like

Thanks for the report of Sestronka. I had wondered why the reports on size and flavor seemed so good, but it never seems to get as much attention as the other smaller hybrids. It sounds like it might be the low productivity, which is a shame. Does it have a particularly nice growth habit that would make it good for a landscape tree?

First two pictures are not Nikita’s Gift but D. virginiana of some sort. Look at the fruits and leaves…quite obvious.

4 Likes

Maybe Sestronka would benefit from pollination from a male tree.

1 Like

The growth habit is slower than most and upright, and doesn’t require much pruning. I would say it’s a very pretty tree. Hence why I think it would look great in landscaping where any fruit production can be considered a bonus!

2 Likes

I have other hybrids planted near it, and they produce seeded fruit. I believe sestronka is seeded too. Asian varieties I have planted near it are not seeded. Maybe there’s a chance a true male there can help….

1 Like

Here are the true Nikita’s Gift leaves.

Harvested some American persimmon fruits and let them ripen slowly so the pests won’t get to them.

9 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5 and @Harbin, Thanks for pointing out as I have been informed by @BluegrassEats as what I am thinking of my NG is D. Virginiana of some sort. Do you guys think this may be early Jewel H-118 ? shape of the fruit looks like it and I have another plant which I am thinking was Early jewel has only 2 fruits, this tree is loaded and was the first persimmon to ripen.

My apologies to @BluegrassEats who I sent a scion as NG. I will make it up this season brother.

3 Likes

No worries I was tickled to death from what you sent me. I like growing mystery trees it keeps things interesting. I actually ordered a " Nikita’s gift" years ago only to realize it’s an American and about 20 foot tall it’s all good I love American persimmon.

3 Likes

Here’s the first (and only) fruit on my young Sestronka tree (grafted 2.5 years ago). I agree that it’s a beautiful tree - large, glossy leaves that look a lot like kaki - and a nice branching habit. The leaves are looking a little worse for wear at this point in the season though. My tree is already 6 ft tall, so I wouldn’t say it’s been a particularly slow grower for me. Looking forward to tasting it!

9 Likes

My first kaki to begin ripening this season - Inchon. It’s the first season it’s fruited for me. My Izu has a few fruits starting to show a little hint of yellow, but all my other kakis and hybrids are still solid green.

12 Likes

Thanks for the report and I look forward to your thoughts on taste. Any chance for pictures of the full trees? I have both and am considering which gets a coveted spot in the yard and which stays in a container. Thanks.

1 Like

Your Inchon look very sizable, Ben. I didn’t realize this variety was so early! I wonder why it isn’t more commonly grown.

3 Likes

I don’t know much about Inchon. There were a couple fruit this season that split a little, and that accelerated the ripening. So we tasted those already, and they weren’t very good. That could be because those fruit weren’t fully mature before they split. I’m hoping the ones in the picture are better. The tree is a real pain to prune - it puts out a lot of very long weak branches that bend over and snap very easily. I’ve had to stake it for the last few years to keep the tree from breaking in the wind.

3 Likes

This happened with my Miss Kim this year and in 2020. It has had 2 growth spurts those years. The 2nd round of growth created some particularly long, floppy branches. The first round of spring growth was relatively short and compact so that wasn’t an issue. I’m not sure why it’s growing so much this year despite carrying a big crop. You’d think the fruit would take energy away from vegetative growth.

3 Likes