Persimmons 2022

In spring, we’ll prune our fruit trees and throw away some plant materials. I’ll be happy to try to root or air layer some of that. If they fail, there is nothing to lose. This is something I always want to know.

2 Likes

Prairie Sun. Split due to heavy rain after dry spell. Very good flavor.

13 Likes

Jujubes are regularly propagated by cuttings. Some nurseries make it a point to mention that their jujubes are own root. Persimmons are not even in the same ballpark. Propagating persimmons on their own root – at least for the common varieties is still a research topic.

I like to know what nursery states that it propagates jujube by own roots… Not talking about those seedling jujube with thorns.

Just fruits and exotics used to have this on their website. Maybe they still do.

1 Like

Hi Jafar,
How old is your H118?
I ordered my Ichi kei Jiro, from Plantmegreen, date: 11/12/2019. It had a few blossoms the first year 2020, but no fruits, then in 2021 My IKJ set 9 fruits, but they all shed during the middle of the growing season. So far this year I have fewer shedding and about half are still on the tree beginning to turn color.
2022 count: 16 fruits set, as of 10/1: 8 still on tree, 8 were shed by mid August. Hopefully these still on will continue to

ripening.
I tried to graft some H118 last year on my Chocolate that I am top working, but that graft didn’t not take.
Dennis
Kent, wa

4 Likes

I grafted H118 myself, maybe 7 or 8 years ago. It started as what was supposed to be Saijo, but it wasn’t even a kaki… So I tried and failed to graft Saijo to it, and eventually grafted to H118.

11 Likes

Nice fruit!
Do you mean you thought the rootstock was Saijo?

@DennisD — Be patient. I planted my three IKKJ in 2015. I harvested ~25 in 2020 and ~300 in 2021. That was unreal and maybe unsustainable. It looks like there’s 100-150 this year. The point is that you may have to wait 5-6 years for a great crop.

3 Likes

I ordered a tree from a mail order nursery. It was sold to me as a grafted Saijo. The tree was not Saijo, not even a kaki.

I’m not sure if it was just a seedling rootstock, or had been grafted to a virginiana.

I grafted it to H118.

2 Likes

Good to hear! I can see that each year it gets more mojo, generally I am pleased to see what is happening

Getting a few early season Proks.

19 Likes

Man, those look just perfect!

3 Likes

And I suppose yours don’t have a trace of astringency. :frowning:

1 Like

Virginiana on Kaki will either not take or it will eventually fail.

Ha! Some in this early batch did. But I don’t mind it if it’s not too pronounced.

2 Likes

Hi Ram,
Actually I had these that did not yet fail but grew well all season on my Chocolate. I suppose after another year is will know but so far the graft unions look solid and pretty normal.
Prok ok 1 ea
100-46 ok 2 ea
Dennis

1 Like

Rojo Brillante persimmons

14 Likes

Beautiful specimens!

1 Like

Thanks! :+1: