Persimmons 2022

Where did you buy it? My first Izu was mislabeled and also suspected to be some type of Jiro.

I bought Izu scion from Fruitwood nursery and the foliage is clearly different from the original.

3 Likes

it is definitely not an izu, yet i dont know which jiro there are a few. i cant tell the differences between the different strains of jiro.

Having dropped the majority of the fruit, my H118 is holding a decent amount of fruit so far:

5 Likes

what was the difference in foliage? do you have photos? i cant tell difference in leaves yet.

Not a great picture, but you can see the circled Izu, and the rest of the tree is the mislabeled. The Izu has a redder tinge to the color. If I remember, I’ll take some current pictures. It also now has Matsumoto Wase grafted to the tree as well. It is fruiting the same year as the grafts, a first for me!

2 Likes

please do take new photo. i cant see very well. i do see the color difference. im hoping to see maybe a difference in leaf shape? fruiting on that first year graft sounds awesome, please keep us updated on your harvest!

I bought mine from a small grower in Georgia who was selling trees he grafted himself. I’m not sure what his original source is, but he isn’t selling things anymore as far as I’m aware.

I ordered an Izu for a friend from JF&E, and that tree looks true to type. The leaves are different than any of my suspected Jiros which seem like they have wavy leaf edges. The fruit was also much more perfectly round as opposed to square or 4 lobed.

2 Likes

Andrew,
Here’s my JT-2 that dropped for an unknown reason. I put a grade A large egg for size comparison. I sure hope the rest won’t drop.

@Barkslip this is my very green JT-02.

7 Likes

Nice size, too bad it dropped!

2 Likes

@Ahmad
I am pleasantly surprised by the size of JT-02. I am used to Prok which is half that size.

3 Likes

I purchase a JT-02 from one of the members here unfortunately the graft die but I want to re-graft it next year.

Tippy, I went out and did a size comparison with that Prok I had softening inside. The JT-02 are already probably twice as large as Prok with likely another month or so of growth left.

I also ate this Prok and another one that had dropped and softened. The flavor was mild in all categories. Hopefully, later ripening fruit are sweeter. The texture was pleasant though, not pasty or runny. They had a bunch of flat, underdeveloped seeds inside. None of them looked viable. This could be the result of the bees bringing Cheong Pyong kaki pollen over. Kaki and Americans aren’t supposed to be easy to cross naturally.

9 Likes

Looking good Andrew. Your JT-02 starting to turn light yellow so hopefully no more fruits drop.

1 Like

I really hope so Tony. Most of them dropped in June which left me with these 4 remaining fruit. With some luck, they’ll be full of seeds for new hybrid seedlings.

3 Likes

That’s interesting to hear. I saw them for sale for the first time last winter, but balked at the price ($5 for a small fruit). Your high praise makes me thick it might be worth it.

3 Likes

If you have H Mart nearby, it sells Sharoni. The one I have been to is in Burlington MA. Lots of interesting food and fruit. It is worth a trip.

1 Like

@mamuang The H-Mart in Portland did not have them last year when I checked. Please let us know when they arrive this year and I’ll try again.

1 Like

Will do. The last visit was there a while back. We don’t go there often.

@PharmerDrewee , @tonyOmahaz5 , @SMC_zone6

This is a Prok? One fruit dropped a couple of days ago. I compared size with my green JT-02.

8 Likes

The ripe ones are excellent, but they have to be dark yellow to orange. Light yellow ones are not ripe and will not ripen upon storage. Ripe ones if seeded, are even better. I like them when they start to soften, with a consistency slightly firmer than a ripe peach. I usually buy a box for $12-15, usually contains anywhere from 9-12 fruits.

3 Likes