Persimmons 2022

Beautiful harvest!
How would you rank them in terms of flavor?

@Harbin
Pavel, what’s the tree form and height of Chuchupaka and Roman Kosh? Are they closer in form to Rosseyanka or Nikitskaya Bordovaya? I grafted some seedlings this year and I’m trying to figure out the best placement. Much thanks,

Dom

1 Like

Please forgive me, but I’m 55 and just had my 1st persimmon. It was my wife’s first too! So now I’m going to chop an extra big cherry tree to make room for a persimmon. I’m in zone 7a, high desert. What do you suggest I start with? I imagine I’ll graft different varieties onto it like I do the rest of my trees.

7 Likes

Congrats on tasting your first persimmon. Do you know which variety it was?
Maybe a good choice for your zone would be a hybrid like Rosseyanka or Nikita’s gift. Or any of the newer ones that are supposed to be equally good and even more cold hardy.

1 Like

No idea what it was. It was at the local farm where I got figs today, and the checkout lady didn’t know much of anything regarding their produce. Very interesting fruit. Hard to describe, but very yummy!

You connoisseurs will probably laugh, but if I had to take a stab at it, it was like candy corn with the texture of a ripe, but firm tomato. Well, whatever. It was pretty nice!

3 Likes

What was it shaped like? Flat and square, or acorn shaped? Most persimmons that you can buy in a store are either Fuyu (first shape) or Hachiya (second). Fuyu types can be eaten while firm, what’s Hachiya must be really soft, like jelly almost, or they will be unbelievably astringent. This is important, because your zone puts you on the borderline of where the non astringent, Fuyu types can grow. But you’re well within range for a whole universe of astringent varieties, from Asian, North American, and hybrid species.

1 Like

Both work fine as long as they are provided good siting. I get a harvest starting around the beginning of August with winter protection and minimal damage for Mt Etna varieties. I couldn’t protect them the past year so there was some damage. This delayed the harvest until late August but I still got hundreds.

Only around 4 years so far. The lowest temperature they’ve endured is maybe -3 Fahrenheit. It really doesn’t get any colder than that the past 10 years that I’ve been paying attention. It seems that most of our winters don’t go below zero here. The same cannot be said about a lot of the rest of the state. I’m in a warmer suburban pocket.

Flat, like a saturn peach.

1 Like

@jrd51 … thanks for the offer of kasandra scions… but i already have that covered and the american varieties with a couple other nice folks here that I am helping out as well.

That is a very “nice feature” of this site… we can all help each other out with what we need.

3 Likes

Each one is special on its own and I like them all.

" what’s the tree form and height of Chuchupaka and Roman Kosh? Are they closer in form to Rosseyanka or Nikitskaya Bordovaya? "

I can’t see any difference. Height is rootstock dependent, other factors like soil, water, nutrients and climate also play the role.

4 Likes

@mamuang – This is the sole JT-02, as of now. You can see the PCNA kaki shape, though the fruit is smaller. It’s roughly 2" square vs 2 1/2 to 3" for IKKJ. and the corners seem slightly more rounded.

8 Likes

This is mine.

It is 2- 2.5” wide.

14 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who bagged my JT-02. Mine are about as far along as yours and probably the same size.

Here are some kaki coloring up.

Cheong Pyong is also the first one to show fall foliage. It seems to go dormant earlier than all the other trees.

Miss Kim is loaded with fruit this year. There are probably around 100.

Tipo

Jin Yong

Il Mok Jae Cha Ryang

Tam Kam

Jiro

Fall foliage on potted Cardinal

24 Likes

Amazing photos Andrew! Which of these are PCNA or PVNA?

1 Like

Thanks Ahmad. They are all PCNA except Cheong Pyong and Miss Kim which are PCA of Korean origin.

I think Tipo might be PVNA but I’m not sure if these were pollinated. The tree flowered before my pollinator did. I’m also not sure if mine matches the Tipo commonly known in Europe. The shape seems off. It could still perhaps be some other PVNA, but we’ll have to see if they are seeded.

6 Likes

I look forward to your review of their eating quality!

2 Likes

@PharmerDrewee
Andrew - what a bounty you have there. Your trees are so healthy and productive.

I use nylon bags for my JT -02 as animals here are very aggressive and destructive. At least these nylon bags can slow them down a bit, better protection than organza bags.

2 Likes

I ended up finding a few Miss Kim that had started to soften including one ready to eat! I don’t think I’ve ever found a tree ripened PCA that was soft before frost. @thecityman is always finding his Saijo like this. It was really good.

18 Likes

So glad to see the success you are having! Definitely a good selection of trees for PA.

1 Like