Persimmons in Pots, which rootstock is best?

We are in Z6 and want to try some Asian persimmons in pots so we can protect them through the winter. Aiming to grow them in 15 gal pots. What is the best rootstock for this, Lotus or Natives?

1 Like

Where in zone 6 are you? Is it 6a or 6b? You might be able to get by with hardier selections in the ground if you’re in a warmer part.

1 Like

6b WV Harpers Ferry area. Yeah I have some in ground, we want to try some that stand no chance of making it here in ground. We also grow figs so these could just be overwintered with the figs.

1 Like

Stick with the hardy American persimmon rootstocks. Just incase someday you are tire of the pot and decide to put them in the ground.

3 Likes

Hey Jack my name is Gary I’m in zone 5B in New York state are you growing any figs in ground or all in pots thanks

1 Like

Hey neighbor, I am just over east of Frederick. I am trying American roots, just in case our weird weather gets weird. Even in pots, you’d probably be better off with a hardier rootstock around here. Are your figs in a garage, indoors, or greenhouse over winter?

1 Like

I started a fig thread for fun :slight_smile: so this one can be on potted persimmons.

1 Like

Hybrid seedlings if you’ve got them. They’ll help with dwarfing and will reduce the risk of delayed incompatibility.

6 Likes

@WVMJack – I’d go with American based on the observation that Asian varieties tend to be dwarfing even when grafted onto American rootstock. My 3 IKKJs are ~12’ after 7 years, and undoubtedly they could be kept smaller. Ditto my single Kassandra hybrid after 5 years. Both are grafted onto DV.

Admittedly I’ve pruned all to limit height but this wasn’t difficult. It seems likely that with more aggressive management of height, you could keep the trees to 6-9’. This contrasts with the American Prok on DV rootstock, which I have trouble keeping under 20’.

1 Like

OK Thanks for the help, it would be years before I have hybrid seeds to make rootstocks so since I already have some DV already in pots we will go with them in pots.

2 Likes

Local wildlife got most of my fruit this drought year. But they won’t get my potted persimmons. There are two plants (two pots) in there. Both are on native rootstock.

6 Likes

Sorry to hear about the wildlife got all your persimmon fruits. What persimmon variety are in the 2 pots?

1 Like

The persimmons, pawpaws, and jujubes are about the only things they didn’t get. The two in pots are Giombo and Sung Hui. I crossed these with hybrid males, so I’m being extra careful to make sure I get the fruits/seeds.

8 Likes

Giombo and Sung Hui is there difference of ripening time? difference in flavor? any photos of them? thank you!

1 Like

Here are two photos of Sung Hui from last year. It’s earlier ripening than Giombo and produces a smaller fruit. Plus the plant itself is naturally dwarfing, which is part of why I’m interested in crossing it with other hybrids. This will be my first year ripening fruit on Giombo, as long as we don’t get an early frost.

5 Likes

Thank you there isnt much info on sung hui so its nice to know when it ripens. it looks similar fruit to miss kim persimmon. since there isnt much astringent persimmons that has the shape of fuyu.

2 Likes

SMC_zone6 *Tony, I have never heard of a Sung Hui. I do have a giombo. Can you tell me the difference in flavor and appearance of both trees?

1 Like

When you want to tag someone on this forum, use the @ symbol in front of their handle names, they will get notified.

Like this, @SMC_zone6 and @tonyOmahaz5

3 Likes

*smc_zone6
I have never heard of a Sing Hui. How does it compare to the Giombo in taste and architecture? I am looking for a persimmon with pretty fall color thats on the small side and has low or droopy branches so I can see it from the inside of my house so its not obstructed from the overhang of my porch. I hear the Izu is the prettiest of all the trees for cool california coastal areas but the branching is high up and I’m afraid if I plant it I wont be able to see the fall display. Its my husbands favorite fruit.

1 Like

My Sung Hui is naturally dwarfed. It’s a great one for growing in a pot. I can’t remember what the fall color is like, and it hasn’t started turning yet this year, but other than that I think it sounds like a great choice for what you’re looking for.

1 Like