PF24C and Julyprince

Last year I grafted Julyprince onto my PF24C. This year I got 6 or 8 Julyprince to compare. I think I need to give it another year or two, but here is this first year’s comparison:
In all pictures, Julyprince on the left, PF24C on the right.

Julyprince is quite a bit fuzzier and not quite as colorful. They seem to be firmer as well.

Both of these peaches are supposed to ripen at the same time, but Julyprince seemed over ripe (in spite of it being overly firm), and PF24C seemed, if anything, like it could have waited a few more days. Brix was 18 on Julyprince and 16 on PF24C. The other Julyprince peaches ranged from 14 to 18 brix, and my other PF24C peaches ranged from 14 to 19 brix. All of the PF24C peaches were great this year and all of the Julyprince peaches seemed over ripe and were mealy.
Julyprince has a really good reputation, so I probably need to give it another season or two for evaluation.

9 Likes

Thanks for the report. How does PF24C compare to O’Henry in terms of ripening time and taste.
I got O’Henry and Fairtime in this timeframe so I was wondering if PF24C was worth adding given the lack of space that I currently have.

2 Likes

Paul,
I have both O’Henry and PF24C. O’Henry is supposed to ripen 12 days later than PF24C. In my experience 12 days later is about right.
O’Henry has not done well for me. I can’t get it to ripen correctly here, nor can I get it to shake that “green” flavor. Those two problems might be related. I am trying other varieties in the O’Henry window. It is possible that my growing season is not long enough for such a late variety. We will see.

2 Likes

I finished picking my PF24 C last week. The quality this year was down due to two factors (I think): too many fruit (though I thinned heavily), and poor tree’s health ( has not fully recover from borer attack 3 years ago).

Even with poorer quality (compared to previous years), everyone who tried them said they were great. This is because they have compared them to store bought peaches. My PF24 C is still a few notches above.

My PF25 is ripening now. A large, good peach, less acidic than PF 24 C

6 Likes

I was a discouraged on 24c for a while, but it has turned out to be a dependable peach.

It tastes good and produces despite the weather. Julyprince was frosted out this year, like so many peaches. But generally Julyprince is a tad better quality peach in my locale, than 24c.

2 Likes

I’m curious if my Julyprince fruit quality issues were related to being on one year old grafts? I’ll keep comparing in the years to come.

I have Red Gold nectarine, new tree. If it’s not doing well I might search for 24C, it really looks great. I checked your pictures and it also looks like it has that bell type of flower (more enclosed like in Crethaven, Sunhaven etc.) which is not that showy but is at least 2 degrees more frost resistant than the other opened type (we call them “plate”).
The unripe flavor must be your short season cause mine taste great. Try also Kaweah, should be a good one in O’Henry ripening window.

2 Likes

Good advice Paul. I grafted Kaweah this year. I should point out that I grew a PF Fat Lady for a while in that window and it performed very well. I removed the tree because the peaches were always mealy. I regret that now. I think I may have been expecting them to soften up like my earlier season peaches and left them on the tree too long.

2 Likes

Kevin,

In my experience very young peach trees generally don’t produce the best quality peaches. They are smaller and generally don’t taste as good, imo.

That said, peaches from a very young tree are generally better than “inside” peaches from an older tree.

1 Like