Pick or not to pick is the question

Okay,thanks.So,should they release without much resistance? Thanks,Brady

1 Like

When you lift up the stem should snap.

2 Likes

As Matt points out seed color is a good indicator of ripeness, but I’ve found for many varieties I grow, if one waits a little bit after the seeds turn brown to pick the fruit the apples seem to be considerably sweeter and the texture doesn’t seem to suffer.

2 Likes

Depends on do you want to eat the apples right away or sell them for eating right away, or to store them

1 Like

Hi Brady,
My climate is simiilar to yours. My chojuro is for some reason not as early as everything else. I had some that were not as flavorful. I would only pick one if it comes off easily, then wait if it’s not flavorful enough.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

Thanks John,I will try to pick one soon. Brady

I tried a couple of the Asian Pears today.They did come off the tree fairly easily when pulled upward.
They weren’t very crisp,like I expected,but sweet and good tasting.
Maybe the size will increase in coming years. Brady

2 Likes

It looks like it would be ripe. The nice thing about having several pears is that you can pick and test a few over a period of time.

Yes,I received a bunch of cutting varieties that were grafted to this tree in the Spring,including Korean Giant,which I’ve read so many good reports about. Brady

1 Like

I have been eating my Chojuros. They taste much better now. I can get the rum/butterscotch flavor. 3 weeks ago I tried one, but it had very little flavor. I think that maybe a squirrel had knocked it off.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes