Picking the last frozen pears

I must say, last week we had 3 days that were at 70 or slightly below, with no frosts here along lake michigan until a little snow last night at 32degs. Last years frost was oct 29. Should have sufficient degree days despite spring delay

1 Like

@noogy

That sounds like your weather has been very pleasant. When any pear including Duchess D’ Angoulme is grown right the seeds should be black like this. It is always a shame i dont grow all these seeds out im sure there are some potentially wonderful pear genetics in those seeds.

4 Likes

I was thinking of putting one next to my isolated Ya Li and mishirazu with the same end in mind! Random genetic recombination is bound to yield surprises. Blessings from the heavens!

1 Like

I have to try graft this one again. I had grafted it to a seedling pear, but that graft failed after leafing out. I had grafted several branches of it on my ‘pasture pear’ seedling, but the cattle completely destroyed the cattle panel fence I had around it and then ate the tree down to the ground, destroying all of the grafts I had growing on it. Maybe I’ll have success grafting it this spring. I have wanted one of those for many years! Wonderful description Clark!!

1 Like

When mine get hard and crunchy they loose their sweetness

1 Like

@ltilton

These are absolutely delicious.

1 Like

@noogy

Hard to say what they would turn out like but it might be something exceptional.

1 Like

Finishing off the last few overripe pears. Today is Nov 27th.

5 Likes

Wont be long now!

2 Likes