Pickled Peaches!

One of the many people I gave fruit to recently brought me a can of PICKLED PEACHES!!! I had never heard of such a thing in my whole life. SHe used the small, whole peaches and said cling peaches are better for this. She said her mom always made them with not-quite ripe peaches but she prefers ripe ones.

At first taste, I wasn’t sold. It really takes some getting used to. But after I ate a couple I really came around…I’m now a big fan! It’s not something I’d sit around and eat large quantities of, but they are a good little snack. I don’t have the recipe but to my tastes, they are a lot like home made bread and butter pickles in terms of flavor, except of course they are peaches!

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? THis might be worth looking into for some of you- its much better than it sounds!

4 Likes

I’ve not heard of them and like you my first reaction is that of skepticism. However if you can pickle watermelon rind maybe there is something to it. Lol

2 Likes

I haven’t tried pickled peaches but I’ve made pickled quinces and they were delicious. I can see this working with under-ripe peaches. The recipe is by a British chef Nigel Slater, hence the metrics.

750ml cider vinegar
400g golden granulated sugar
3 medium-sized quinces or 4 smaller ones
12 juniper berries
8 black peppercorns
a bay leaf

Pour the vinegar into a stainless-steel pan. Add the golden sugar, juniper berries, black peppercorns and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to a merry simmer.

Peel, halve and core the quinces, cutting them into six lengthways. Lower the quince into the simmering vinegar and leave the fruit to cook for 15-25 minutes, until it is soft enough to pierce effortlessly with a skewer.

Lift the soft fruits out with a draining spoon and lower them into clean storage jars. Pour over the liquor, then seal and leave to cool. They will keep for several weeks.

1 Like

I always make canned watermelons and they’re delicious to me but not to everyone.