Pictures of your orchard today

Some of my older Jonathon and McIntosh in full bloom.

26 Likes

I can smell the mowed lawn! Heaven.

3 Likes

Those are beautiful trees. I really miss McIntosh apples!

2 Likes

@mrsg47

At some point you may want to move back to the USA.

2 Likes

Not likely from the evidence.

1 Like

These are aronia and pears mostly in this orchard. The orchard set a partial crop but that’s going to be plenty. Feeling very blessed after illness last year that my trees still did pretty well.

Still chainsaw pruning many places that got overgrown like the ones below. I’m getting through them a little at a time.

That’s part of the main 4 acre orchard. There are still other orchards that are several acres as well. The wind break trees are now being removed a little at a time as im using fruit trees in the wind break now. The wind break got a little thick. Autumn olve can reach 25 feet in height here. Been chainsaw pruning many to make them more manageable.

Used asphalt milling on the main road that is my driveway and access to my orchard.

13 Likes

I use it for a number of reasons. It’s so pervasive that it prevents other weeds and grass from taking hold, cutting down on my need to weed. I do a chop and drop when it gets tall and it falls over as a living mulch It’s a nitrogen fixer. The flowers are always covered with bees and encourage pollination. Lastly, it keeps my chickens from scratching up mulch under the trees. I think it’s a win win.

2 Likes

I do enjoy it very much! Last year it was my spot for sitting and tasting apples with my faithful companion, my chocolate lab Katie. I also get a great view of the creek, the ducks and geese, herons, beavers, and once in a while an eagle.

Come over and we will share that gin and tonic. :grin:

Last year’s apple tasting.

11 Likes

I think I started with two plants. The next year I divided them in thirds and so on. Now it’s under about 35 trees, all from the first two plants. I like how it dies back naturally every winter then bursts into life early in the spring. Today the bumble bees and I danced among the comfrey :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

I doubt I will move back. I cannot give up my growing conditions here and weather and now my French is close to fluent. I love my house too!

4 Likes

Very nice orchard. What is the tree and row spacing? Do you happen to know?

Some of My new grafts I did this year. I’m in the middle of expanding the orchard, so I planted them for this year and plan on moving them after I finish up the expansion. I wish I would have put more wood chips down or maybe even some landscape cloth because of all the weeds and grass coming up.

4 Likes

Starting on the expansion.

10 Likes

16 Likes

Protecting apples…

10 Likes

Where did you get the bags and have they worked out?

3 Likes

They are potato bags… they are very common here.

5 Likes

13 Likes

11 Likes

@Sparty … wow … awesome soil in your garden… my compost pile looks like that… your whole garden does. NICE !!!

1 Like