Pine Fines for blueberry potting mix?

Okay, so I’m going to be completely honest here…

In all my grow bags I use the same thing. Compressed pro mix organic gardening soil with the yellow color bag.

If I can get it for cheap, sometimes I’ll add in some coco coir and basically the cheapest organic fertilizer I can find.

For my fruit trees in ground, I add mycorrhizae and a layer of free mulch from chip drop. Easy peasy

In the past I’ve steered pretty clear from blueberries because they seem to have some very specific needs and I don’t really have the time and patience for that, but I’m taking a leap this year.

I plan to put them on the drip line so that they have regular supply of water. They won’t be watered regularly if they’re not on a drip line. I doubt they would have wet feet in a porous grow bag.

This is where I got the concept for the peat moss/ pine fines combo. It’s an older post but from what I read a lot of people were doing the same thing, but maybe that’s not the current best option.
https://growingfruit.org/t/growing-blueberries-in-pots/19127/5?u=bigmike1116

Is there any particular brand of horticultural sand you would recommend that would be easy to find? What is DG sand?

Is there any particular brand of cured 1/4 inch conifer bark you recommend that are fairly easy to find?

I did look into mycorrhizae specific to blueberries and I came up with one. Its a powder sold by pure AG. Is this the kind of thing you’re talking about?

I have pre-orders from ison’s for rabbit eye blueberries Vernon, krewer, and Titan. I got an Alapaha rabbit eye this fall and a random legacy.

1 Like