Pineapple Guava ripening?

They look great! Good luck! :blush:

Thanks, I was going to be really disappointed if they were a bust…Pineapple Guava are supposed to be one of the easiest/best fruits to grow in Florida…

1 Like

Congratulations.

found a couple bigger ones today…

2 Likes

It’s going to be a good year for you.
John S
PDX OR

John
Are you in Oregon? I’m in McMinnville. How many trees and what varieties do you have? And blooms yet?

I live near Beaverton. I’ve been doing this a long time, so I have about 60. Lots of fruit.
John S
PDX OR

Did you mean Pineapple guava specifically? 2-just started blooming.

Found these on the ground under my trees…looks like the birds got to a few of them…It was my understanding that they’re supposed to be close to ripe when they fall, that is unless some critter was the reason they dropped…Regardless, these aren’t very big…I was looking online and saw one guy out in Cali who had them the the size of a small apple…

Do I need to let them sit for a couple days or can I cut right into them??

1 Like

If they are fragrant and have a little give, they are ripe. Some are palatable while relatively firm, just more sour.

I think they are best when there’s a good amount of the sweet, translucent jelly in the middle, while it is still relatively clear or light amber, before it gets dark. When they are under ripe there will be little or no jellied part in the middle around the seeds.

When they are overripe that jellied part will be brownish.

1 Like

Thanks @murky…I cut into the 2 that seemed to have the most amount of give…they looked like this…

Translucent like you described, but definitely not very sweet…

1 Like

That looks good. The translucent part should be sweet and jellied, the flesh between it and the green skin, sour and grainy. Together sweet/tart and potentially delicious.

Some cultivars or seedlings are better than others, and I’m sure growing conditions can make a big difference.

My Chojuro pears vary greatly in quality from year to year on the same young tree.

I think a fellow member here, with more experience, has said that when they ripen during heat, they’re not as good.

hmm, these definitely ripened in the heat and…no way way to avoid that here in Florida and we had a bunch of rain this year, 13 inches above average YTD, so maybe that affected things…This was the first year I had any fruit, so maybe they’ll improve a bit with age…

1 Like

I cannot determine from previous text in this thread what variety the jeremymillrood feijoas are or if they are seedlings.

If seedlings, the fruit above may be as good as it gets.

1 Like

Hi @LarryGene, they’re not seedlings. I bought the shrubs from a nursery…Here are a few more that I found on the ground today…everything I’ve read says they ripen 5 to 7 months after flowering…these flowered May so they’re on track from that standpoint…

Maybe they’re an acquired taste, or it’s possible these just aren’t very good…like I said I’ll give them some time…even if the fruit isn’t good, they make a really nice shrub…

1 Like

“I bought the shrubs from a nursery” does not determine variety or seedling origin with any certainty.

Yours do have a distinctive globe shape that is a trait of certain named varieties, you would have to review pictures to see which variety has that shape.

People find certain feijoa fruit “gritty” and/or bland. This can be due to seedling origin or to certain named varieties having those traits, or to growing conditions.

In very warm or hot climates, the plant is often sold as a landscaping shrub–the fruit is not the main objective.

I have had over 90% positive reactions from people eating the fruit of my undetermined-origin feijoa bush, bought at a nursery.

I can attest that Larry’s fruit are better than many others.

Even the local nurseries that sell named feijoa cultivars, usually bring seedlings to sell when they come to shows and such.

Hadn’t considered the possibility of them being seedlings since they were bought from a nursery, but I see what you mean…There’s no way for me to know for sure…I’ll check around for pictures to see if I can find any that match up.

These are a popular landscaping shrub in Florida and most if not all of the nurseries carry them…If fact they were named the Florida Garden Select Plant of the year in 2009, I’m sure that also lent to their popularity…

They’ve grown so well that I definitely want to add more to my landscape…preferably a good eating variety…Thanks.

The key is if it didn’t have a cultivar name on the tag when it was purchased, it is a seedling.

Cultivars sell at a premium. If they are named varieties, it should be prominently advertised. Otherwise assume seedling.

Now that your plants are at least blooming, enjoy eating the flower petals that are typically moist and flavorful. The fruit will still form.

2 Likes