Pineapple Guava ripening?

Larry, where did you get the Azerbaijani jam?

Good Neighbor Russian grocery store in Portland, Oregon.

It is branded as Bagdan Feyxoa cemi, (sublabeled feijoa jam)
Product of Azerbaijan.
Made at the Lankaran Canning Factory, near the Caspian Sea.

It seemed unlikely, but the fresh feijoas at that grocery store had the exact same appearance as those pictured growing in the Lankaran region. The fruits looked well-traveled and past their prime.

The jam is too stiff, could be quality control issue or intentional. Most jams and preserves in that store are very loose.

1 Like

Disappointed that I haven’t seen a single fruit on my pineapple guava…I’ve had them going on two years now, maybe they need some more time.

Any idea of the age of your plants?

Planted early March 2015, so they are a little less than 2 years old.

Seedlings planted outdoors in the ground or an adequate pot will fruit in 3-5 years down here.

so mine is probably still a year away…good info. Thanks.

I have two unnamed pineapple guavas and had my first fruit set this year. Is the fruit at its optimal flavor when it drops from the tree? Or can i pick it early and allow it to ripen on the counter?

The key is knowing when they are ripe enough to pick. You will gain experience with that as you harvest those which fall to the ground.

But early picking … not a good idea in my experience.

There is a one or two day difference between a fruit on the ground and a fruit that will come off readily by slightly bending the fruit sideways. Fruit that drop can often get bruised areas, not a big deal if eaten within days. Whatever falls off when giving the bush a light shake is ready to go. Fallen fruit vary from quite firm to fairly soft, the firm ones (pencil eraser firmness) can use a couple of days on the counter.

If the fruit does not come off with a light touch or shake, I would let them be.

I agree with the 3-5 year timeframe for young plants.

Here’s what mine looks like now…I’ve got two of them.

2 Likes

Those are fine-looking plants with good color and annual growth rate. Have patience.

1 Like

Went to save the last of my fuyus from the birds, and lo, some feijoa under the tree for Christmas! :blush:

7 Likes

Mine have bloomed and fruited every year for more than a decade, except when I transplanted fully grown ones. 2 year wait.
Coolidge and a seedling. Similar flavor. Different ripening time. Flowers are delicious too. When they fall, I gather them. I let them get just a bit soft, then eat. I slice in half, then eat a half from inside out. With the small soft ones, I eat the skin too.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

4 years and I’ve never had a single fruit on either of these…kind of sad because they’re such nice plants. They flower every year but I guess they just aren’t getting pollinated.

1 Like

Hi! You nead to get another one to pollinate her…

My Feijoa Nikita is now budding out with flowers. Still very small but appears to be a precocious variety.

2 Likes

I have two, but they’re the same variety…guess I need to find a different kind…

1 Like

They are small trees or good size? They usually are easy to fruit.

Well now I’m really embarrassed. Thought for sure they weren’t going to fruit and went out to take pictures of how big they are…Probably about 5 feet give or take…

Then I see this…

and this…

so maybe they’re finally fruiting…
It’s COVID miracle…

5 Likes