Pink Pearl Apple SEPT 10, 2017 - Z5b - NY

My PINK PEAL graft done in the summer of 2015 grew in nicely and this year gave me four nice large apples.
Picked on September 10, 2017 in Zone 5b New York

They are about the size of a baseball. Juicy, crispy sweet and tangy (like a combo Gala & Granny smith) . In a blind test it would be a very good apple but not particularly distinguishable.

Good replacement for PINK LADY in those areas where the season is too short for the Lady

The most interesting wow factor is in how it looks . See below

That spot on the bottom of the right side is just a piece of peel that was stuck on the knife

ZOOM IN TO SEE THE GLISTENING JUICYNESS and TEXTURE

MIke

16 Likes

Looks good! I picked mine (too early) on August 15th. They were unpleasantly tart then but have sweetened up nicely since.

3 Likes

@SMC_zone6

Steven,

Maybe you were a tad early in picking.

I expected a slight pinkish cast but not theses streaks of dark almost red.

Mike

1 Like

I’ve got one of those. I planted it only because my daughter tasted one of these apples and liked it. I thought it on the tart side, but planted it based on my child’s wishes.

I recall it made some beautiful flowers this spring, but didn’t produce fruit so far. Love the color of the inside of the fruit.

5 Likes

@Olpea

It’s a very good tasting apple… just not an Ashmeads Kernel, Calville Blanc or Hudson’s Golden Gem.

It’s a lot better than some of my others. I only have one scaffold of it but it definitely deserves more. I am going to graft over the Chenango Strawberry leaving only one scaffold of that one.

Mike

3 Likes

I’ve been wanting to plant or graft a red fleshed apple. Maybe this is the one. Looks great.

2 Likes