Plant for shearing

Gang

I am looking for some type of shrub that would tolerate shearing and be comfortable occupying on 3 square feet (width) but grow 1 to 4 feet high. I want to prune is to fit a 90 degree configuration as follows::

PP
SP

The P would occupy the three square feet denoted as Ps with the middle P the stem or rootball. The S is simply empty space where I intend to put a statue. The point of the plants are to be a very neat and tightly sheared back drop for the statue as part of a formal garden This for zone 4b/5a

I really cannot think of anything that would keap in bounds.

Thank you for any consideration you give this matter.

Japanese Boxwood should work there.

I was under the impression zone 6 was the upper limit for Japanese boxwood, although I am often wrong. Anyone growing this in 4b/5a?

I have been pleasantly surprised with how well rose of Sharon handles short pruning. I did some deeper pruning this winter with loppers as some of the branches have exceeded the size my hedge shears can handle but they are still fairly easy to keep under control and you can eat the immature blossoms

7 Likes

Maybe Korean Littleleaf Boxwood (Buxus microphylla var koreana)? Or one of the recent hybrids mentioned here:

Or possibly dwarf aronia (Low Scape?)?

2 Likes

My listing shows Japanese boxwood hardy in USDA zones 3 - 9.

Im not sure if rose rugosa might do what you want? They are very nice ornamental easy care bushes.

This is an article that indicates “Japanese boxwood, which grows in USDA zones 3 through 9 depending on the cultivar”. Others will list zone 6 through 9. I have them as a low hedge in the front yard. The squirrels would go around them, not going through under, like on neighbors’ sites with other native bushes. They would avoid rose bushes also, so I planed a lot of roses recently to discourage them from climbing the walls and fences. Both can be big and evergreen in Socal. Not sure how it will be in your area.

How about Rheingold arborvitae? Or microbiota (although it may not reach 1 foot high without a little help).which is zone 2 hardy.

How often are you willing to take the shears to it? And how fast do you want it to grow in?

I would think dwarf boxwoods would be pretty slow filling in your desired area to the point where you have the tight clipped look it sounds like you want. I would think one of the smaller leaved/growing privets would be a classic choice. I think it will grow in faster than the boxwood, but that also means more frequent trims to keep it tight. Also a bit salt tolerant if you plan to have this near a driveway or anywhere else you might use salt in winter.

I’ve seen some really nice holly hedges as well, including one with variegated leaves, but I’m not they are all hardy in your area. Maybe something like this:

Many evergreen choices as well, but I don’t know how many might turn out to be hosts for cedar apple rust.

1 Like

There are dwarf forms of Nandina domestica that will work for what you are trying to do. You can also try kaleidoscope Abelia. Both will grow in zone 6 though Nandina will be at it’s limit in zone 6