Plant Inflation

Garden center shopping today. Over my budget for 3 and 5 gallon Magnolias.

3 Likes

Inflation is not that high…Good lawdy.

3 Likes

Looks like I need to start trying cuttings of magnolia trees next. Or grafting multi magnolia or multi color Camilla trees. Or both at the same time. Ha

1 Like

Resizer_17088168875870

Last year these were $69.

3 Likes

I didn’t go home empty handed. Got a greenhouse forced Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum “Daruma”. $39 for 3 gallon. Hardy zone 7.

3 Likes

@jerryrva

@Fusion_power and i paid around $70 each for desirable pears like bell from grandpas.

This depends on where you live. Most of the online inflation seems to have happened a few years ago. Anyone remember when you could buy a cherry tree from Raintree Nursery for 20 something dollars and 16 or 19 dollars for a blueberry from One Green World was high priced? Good times. Prices at least seem to have stagnated online for now though. I went to my local nursery last year and they wanted to charge me something like 35-55 for 3 herbs that were annuals and we got 5-7 impatient and they wanted us to pay 157 for the impatient alone. We went on over to Lowes. I remember looking at Lilac and my local nursery wanted to charge 50 and we found the same plant and company at Lowes for 15 dollars. These prices these local nursery are charging for common plants are hopefully going to put them out of business. I certainly hope people are not going to continue going to these scammers.

Guess I will keep plying the livestock auction sales. Here you get a lot of contract planters with spare plants to sell cheap. If they do not get all of a load in the ground; a lot of farms would rather have them return with fresh out of the nursery plants. Last trip we got a mix of 10 commercial blueberries for $30.