Hey all, just wanted to give an update on our gardening, now that our first year fruit trees are getting established.
Last week we planted out about 70 tomato and 20 pepper seedlings. We’re trying over 30 different 'mater varieties this year, don’t know what I was thinking. Guess I went a little crazy ordering seeds this winter!
Naturally, the day after we finished putting the last plant in the ground, we had a storm blow through with very heavy rain and high winds (40mph+). It was bad enough to knock out the power for about 7 hours.
After the storm blew thru, I pulled on my Muck boots and went out to the plot to inspect the plants. I was surprised to only see 2 or 3 laying over, but the patch was just a big mud pit, with 20 or so plants under water. So, I spent the next 3 hours digging drainage ditches and bailing out the water logged plants.
This week quite a few of the plants looked a bit rough, so the last couple of days was spent hilling up dirt around them and putting down some straw mulch. They’re looking a bit better already.
For those of you interested, here are some of the tom varieties: Watermelon beefsteak, yellow, pink and black Brandywine, Russian Queen, Red Calabash, Amur Tiger, San Marzano, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Paul Robeson, Siberian Pink, Yellow Pear, Abe Lincoln, Jaune Flamme, Dr Wyche Yellow, Great White, Purple Russian, De Barao, Chocolate Cherry, Lemon Oxheart, and many more.
If all goes well the next few weeks/months, I’ll update with some pix.