Planter Bed Construction

that there is some sandy soil, I too salute you sir, never stop building.

This portion of my yard contains fill dirt – all of it decomposed granite. So yes it has the appearance of sand. Here’s an aerial photo during construction:

the fruit fortress

3 Likes

Adopt me! After you’re done building all this of course :grinning:

I’d rather “teach you how to fish”.

You’re already talking like my dad :smile:

2 Likes

There goes my plan to invite you up for a “constructive visit” hehehe.

1 Like

I placed a second layer of blocks on the first to stabilize it. Then I dug an irrigation trench around the inside perimeter below the level of the block. Next I installed the irrigation line and risers. Notice the irrigation line is in a loop so the pressure is equalized among the emitters.

1 Like

Dr. Evil, how many of these beds are you making? I surely hope you’re not planning on moving soon! Wow.

1 Like

Will all the irrigation be on solenoid valves & timers?

Three more like this one – to the right spaced 36 inches apart. Then another much longer on the side of the house but with only a single divider to keep the artichokes out of the blueberries.

No, in fact this is the second time I’m building a retirement home. I’m not entirely happy to be repeating the project but on the otherhand the first effort afforded a lot of practice.

Yes. There are three dosatrons which service different plant types in the gardens and orchard. Each one contains a pH adjustment for the water supply and at various times of the year a fertigation and/or chemigation (pesticide) dosage for the plants. This particular bed and the artichokes are serviced by a dosatron for tubers.

2 Likes

Very impressive construction for the planter bed, big project and looked very neat

1 Like

A thousand years from now someone’s gonna unearth an ancient civilization on your property! :smile:

2 Likes

Possibly, although I’m only 100 yards off the crest of a hill :smile:

speaking of which, here is my evil-wannabe version of a planter, irrigation, and acidfying filler. When the pomegranate sheds its leaves in winter, it will bare and shroud the goyles with its evil thorns *enter maniacal laughter

his jujube tree will probably be still alive and bearing fruits

RAF,

I saw some Jack Fruit skins on the base of the water fall. My wife bought for me one a few days ago and it sat in my garage to ripe a little bit more. I will wait until the aroma engulf the garage before I cut it open.

Tony

1 Like

you got that right! Could eat the stuff everyday, and sometimes, may be all i have for breakfast, and am good to go! [quote=“tonyOmahaz5, post:57, topic:5402”]
will wait until the aroma engulf the garage before I cut it open.
[/quote]
i guess we both speak jackfruit language, lol

Love the gargoyles!!!

thanks! Quite menacing aren’t they?:smiling_imp: