Planting a sand pear tree

This will be my first time planting a pear tree here in south Florida. The variety is sand pear. I heard it’s a good variety for my zone.

My question is, how do I prepare the soil where it’s going into? I have mostly sand in the ground so I’m not sure this will work or if the tree will make it.

Do i add mycos, fertilizer, manure or anything?
Here is where I got it from and the actual variety. Buy Sand Pear Tree from Ty Ty Nursery

Any advice, videos or comments is greatly appreciated.

I know you already ordered it but I’m not a fan of Tyty nursery. Would feel dishonest if I did not say that up front. That pear should do great in normal sandy Florida soil. @jeremymillrood grows pears in Florida and may be able to add some additional advice when he sees this. Sand pear covers a lot of ground but its likely a kieffer or similar species. Very few pears can take that hot summer sun but hood is one that would well
@Richard grows a nice dwarf hood in California that produces regularly.

2 Likes

Hi Rigo! Unfortunately @clarkinks is correct – TyTy Nursery in GA is a dishonest nursery with misleading advertising.

As for a pear suited to your humid climate I’m at a loss.

1 Like

It’s likely a seedling Pyrus pyrifolia, I seriously doubt these guys even graft plants. Floridata

1 Like

In the future if you’re planning to order any trees I recommend buying from Just Fruit and Exotics. They’re a reputable family owned nursery in Florida and they’ll have varieties that should work in your zone…having said that, the southern Florida climate is dramitically different that what we have up here in NE FL so you may have to do some experimenting.

Personally, I don’t think the soil will be as much of an issue as the climate, you can supplement the soil. Depending on your location that’s either 10B or 10A. I’ve got a Flordahome, Leconte and a Pineapple pear that are doing well. However, 3 years in the ground and they’ve only produced a few pears each, so it will probably take some time before you know if this tree will be successful. Best thing I can recommend is to get it in the ground and see what it does. \Not sure if the variety you’re planting is self-fertile or not, but I’d suggest if you have the room to plant at least one or two other trees.

Good luck.

3 Likes

You could plant it and let it grow for a year and start grafting other types of southern pears onto it, pears are very easy to graft.

4 Likes