Planting new tree, considerations

I’m planting a couple of 2yr grafted apple trees this fall; and a couple of plums in the new year. Does anyone have experience or advice in regards to the following considerations?

1. Daffodils. At what distance from the trunk would you plant daffodil bulbs?

2. Multiple plantings at 18 inches (with either 2 or 3 trees). The book “Grow a Little Fruit Tree” by Ann Ralph presents this method as superior to multi grafting for achieving pollination and extended harvest where space is limited for planting more trees.

3. Watering a Fall planted apple tree. How much and how often should the tree be watered (until rain starts)?

Background: Zone 8b, PNW, on a gentle South slope, in a small backyard.

1 Like

The fall watering question is the most critical of the 3 questions. One good watering at planting time, if the trees are dormant and leafless, probably is enough. In drought conditions, do more watering, in normal year, not necessary.

Daffodils might actually discourage deer, as they won’t eat them. distance is not too big an issue…so long as root ball isn’t messed with, but obviously they will take up some nutrient that otherwise would go to the apple trees.

And multiple plantings…for shrubs and dwarf plants, it makes sense in limited spaces. But the harvest may be less than expected. (Birch trees are often planted with 3 in the “hill”, and it works well with pawpaws. Why not try with apples.)

2 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks for the advice, Blueberry (great handle!).

1 Like

The standard info I’ve encountered is to plant daffodils at the dripline and i imagine the dripline of the mature tree is what is implied, but that seems less than practical since daffodils need to be divided and replanted every few years. My idea is to plant them at a three to four foot distance since i expect the dripline to have just reached that distance when the daffys need replanting. Has anyone else done this?

1 Like

Dug around a bit more and found the multiple planting strategy is referred to as backyard orchard culture or BYOC. Found a couple of threads addressing it: 2 trees, 1 hole, and Pruning advice for backyard orchard culture. Seems opinions are mixed on the topic. I may experiment with the method and will share here as it develops.

1 Like

That will probably work, or else you could just graft several varieties to one tree. That would cost much less. You can buy scions for four or five dollars, or trade for them for free. Just be forewarned that grafting can be addicting. Some have been known to put huge numbers of varieties on any tree they can get their hands on, and spend many hours on the Internet searching for anything they may have missed! They even sneak onto public lands and graft to wild trees.

4 Likes

Consider me warned. Grafting is on the agenda, somehow I’ll face its perils. To graft onto the Liberty and Ashmeads Kernal, the wishlist includes: Wynooche Early, Smokehouse, Calville Blanc d’Hiver, Blue Pearmain, Dolgo, Chestnut, Holstein, Black Oxford… wait, how much is too much?

2 Likes

Too much grafting is just enough. BTW, are you sure you don’t live in 8b zone? Are you in the foothills?

1 Like

You are correct! I am in 8b.

2 Likes