Planting potatoes in late fall

Last fall came across information suggesting that potato tubers can be planted out in late fall, much like garlic and make it through the winter to sprout in early spring.
The idea is to get an earlier maturing potato the following growing season. This is said to be achievable in warmer climates or in climates with mild winters if a heavy mulch is applied to protect the tubers from freezing.

Has anyone tried this and had success?

I tried last fall without success, however, I may try again with a heavy mulch this time.

I think this requires short-day potatoes

I’ve had potatoes inadvertently left in the ground from the previous summer’s crop that sprouted. They actually matured later than the ones I planted myself.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think so…unless you live where the ground won’t freeze deep enough to freeze the potato tubers…………

theres a local farmer that grows potatoes here and on 200 acres in n. FL. when he’s done harvesting here he goes down to his other property and plants in nov. and harvests in late march. he’s done very well doing this. he says our maine potatoes do nearly as good in FL , just a little less yield. the warmer over all temps. makes up for the shorter day period. he’s in his early 50’s and says he has more than enough to retire with 2 $500.000 homes in both states.

2 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s my understanding that most modern varieties of potatoes don’t have day-length sensitivity.