Plantings under trees

They are nice too if you don’t want a spreading growth habit (as I’m sure you know Scott).

1 Like

Yellow Wonder is a clumping strawberry and it doesn’t send out runners…

Scott

1 Like

Thanks for the link to Bring Me a Shrubbery. We are the knights who say ni!

I’ll check out the thread.

1 Like

i have about 25 spread out all over. grew from seed 3 yrs ago. some white some red. i have yellow wonder. i like browsing them when im walking around the yard. gave my neighbors 2 boys permission to pick them as i dont always have time to harvest them all. i planted Rodluvan strawberry from seed i got from the strawberry store last summer. they are flowering as well. a Swedish bred strawberry cross of woodland strawberry and white alpine. berries are supposed to be bigger than a alpine with superior flavor and heavier june fruiting. should have some to try by july. runners like crazy. i planted 10 late last summer. probably have 70 now.

also have 5 named swedish cultivars of arctic raspberry. they have spread like crazy in 3 years but not many berries and i dont know why.

i put in 2 box huckleberry in my blueberry / lingonberry raised bed. they have set a few flowers already. not hardy to my zone but they grow low and my snowpack should protect them over winter.

1 Like

I’d be interested to see if they remain evergreen for you. I know they were originally from central PA so well adapted to my area. I always wonder with something specifically zone 6 if pushing in either direction by much will have significant impacts on growth, or possibly it is a fruit set issue etc. Regardless it never hurts to try!

This one is interesting too and a possible fit for you Steve. http://oneearthbotanical.com/shop/herbal-edible-plants/vaccinium-moupinense-himalayan-blueberry/

And @erics_tiny_orchard this one would be a better fit for you I think, but for the one above you could try to push that 7 to an 8? It’s always a curious thing to read about here when the zone pushing goes in the warm direction instead of cold. Himalayan Huckleberry - now available at One Green World

1 Like