Please help ID - Peach/Nectarine --- super late season

Over Thanksgiving we came across a nectarine tree near Modesto, CA. No id tag. It still has many fruits. Unfortunately I do not speak Spanish so I couldn’t get answers. The tree was not dormant or close to be so I did not push for cuttings (which I came regret later). I did not also inspect graft signs. May be I was in fruit shock to see Nectarine this late and we did not want to look like intruders …LOL.

Owner was kind enough to share some fruits. I attached a picture. Two weeks later, we have the last fruit at room temperature with no sign of rot or loss of quality. The taste is mildly sweet and rich. It is crunchy and pleasant to eat on its own right. Small to medium size. The late season and keeping quality are bouns. We have other late season stone fruits (Liz’s late and Octoberfeast) and not compaison.

2 Likes

My guess is that it could be a seedling. Peach/nectarine seedlings have a decent chance to produce decent or even good fruit.

2 Likes

Looks like a short fuzz peach to me.

2 Likes

I was hoping it is a standard (but rare) Varity we can order and enjoy during winter in a year or two! Let us see if somebody local to Central Valley has info.

One thing though, the tree trunk is small (may be 1.5") and tree overall less than 10ft. If it is a seedling I assume it should be 4-5 years to bear this much and it should be larger.

I believe you are right. Skin is not as smooth as Nectarine. I took close pictures of the skin of the last fruit and I can see little fuzz. Thx.

1 Like

Perhaps some variant of the White Heath peach.

1 Like

Any chance of a hybrid with Indian Free? The variety itself has a thick fuzz I hear (haven’t tasted it yet), but the inside color reminds me of that.

Side question - do you say Octoberfest peach doesn’t do well for you? It is released recently right? So, it may improve in the future?

@californicus Octoberfest was OK. This is 1st year and I am hoping it will improve. Last fruit was September 26 though so not quiet late. But overall, at our place, we are ahead of Dave Wilson schedule for the most part.

Octoberfest 9-26-2020

2 Likes

@Stan thanks for feedback. I am not familiar with White Heath but will check it out and see if I can have a tree or scions. Any fruits that keeps eating quality this late has a special place in my backyard :slight_smile:

Interesting. I thought Fremont while (parts of it) may be in Z10a compared to Central Valley (DWN - Z9B), still gets much less sweltering sun. So, I’m surprised you are ahead of DWN’s ripening chart in general. I can see that’s the case for Octoberfest as Central Valley cools down quickly in the fall compared to here. I’m just 20-30 mins from Fremont and I’m behind DWN calendar by 2 weeks stating June. I’m still surprised by California microclimates :slight_smile:

The only White Heath known today is the cling version and your peach looks like a freestone? Other than that it looks like Heath. The taste/texture also sounds about right. Maybe it is a Heath seedling.

1 Like

Cling for sure. Thx for input.

The fruit color, shape, and keeping ability matche White Heath.

The size is smaller, it is not juicy at all, and red interior color close to seed suggest it is a hybrid of WH not a WH.

My Heath bears white fruit, no red interior. The photo looks more like Indian Free to me. Maybe you have a different strain of Heath.

Yes, I agree it probably is a hybrid of WH. Not juicy at all is a distinguishing trait of White Heath, the only other peach I have grown that is as non-juicy is Indian Cling. So, that is another thing that ties your peach to White Heath. The seedlings tend to be smaller since there wasn’t a big size selection so that favors seedling. My Heaths didn’t produce for me this year (the squirrels stole them all) so I don’t clearly remember how much red is by the pit on them, but definitely not as much as on your peach.

White Heath is one of the few peaches I can’t do without, it is unique in terms of lateness, storability, and flavor.

I am sold on WH. Would appreciate the opportunity to buy or exchange scions. Feel free to pm if at all possible.

Will definitely try to get scions from this WH alike. It is a 70 minutes drive and pushing a nice person to cut from a tree they obviously like. If they were nice once may be they will be nice again!

You only need a stick or two frombthat tree. Most people who grow peach trees, prune off a lot of wood than that every year. I personalky don’t think they would mind esp. if they know how much you aporeciate the fruit and that you drive 70 mins to ask for scionwoid.

Best, bring a friend or a relative who speaks Spanish with you to help with a conversation :grin:. Good luck.

i pretty sure. Google translator would be perfect except it has bad record. “I
want a cutting of your tree” very close to “I want to cut your tree” …

2 Likes

Indian Free gets up more brix for me and I enjoy it more off the tree but it has really not been productive here with one problem or another. Victoria is now my go-to late as White Heath just isn’t enjoyable eating for me, although its fine for culinary uses- dry is not a description I associate with peach virtue. Maybe it gets up more sugar down there.

Victoria is a rather typical, smallish yellow peach, which in Oct is an amazing thing. It is as consistent a cropper as any peach I grow.

1 Like

There are two ways to make WH a better eater, one is to let it sit on the counter for a few weeks after which it will turn into something more like a regular peach, and the other is to cut it up and microwave for about 40 seconds, let cool, and eat. It also is a juicy peach that way. It could also be that it doesn’t fully sweeten up for you. Peaches of NY gives it only a Good, I would rate it higher but maybe it was the New York factor there…

3 Likes