Please Help: What is Likely Peach Tree Leaf Problem?

Can anyone help me with diagnosing my peach tree problems? We have 4 trees, and they all have the same sandy soil and water. One (as you can see) - leaves are browning/yellowing starting at tips, then turning all brown and falling off. The other three trees are green and healthy. Does the problem with the one tree look like a disease or a water issue? (I’m new to growing these. I tried googling and all diseases looked more spotty, but I want to check with experts). Thanks!

2 Likes

Nematodes are a general issue in Florida…but have no idea if that’s an issue here.

Are these trees planted in 2020 or 2021?

1 Like

Thank you for your response! I planted all of them in the past few months. We do have those little grub things in the sand, I’ve seen them when digging. Would different peach varieties respond differently to them? Because 3 of the trees look perfect, just one looks like this.

varieties will certainly play a part here, varying resistances to disease, pests and bacteria. Can we get a close up picture of the branch with the dead leaves? I am no expert, but i am not seeing anything from this image (aside from clear dead leaves). To me, it doesn’t look like brown rot or peach leaf curl.

Not to cause panic, but if this is bacterial or viral, it could be infecting this tree now and spread to the others in the coming weeks. make sure to collect any dead leaves and dispose of them to prevent spreading (don’t compost them).

1 Like

Oh, no panic at all, thank you, that is my concern - I want to know if I should remove this tree to protect the other ones, or if this is a tree-specific issue that won’t spread. Here is a closeup of one of the branches with dead leaves. (There are a few, maybe 3 or 4?)

Since it looks like,they are dying back from the tips,it could be Leaf scorch.

1 Like

Thank you, Bradybb … that does look very similar. Reading about it, it says it can be due to root issues … this tree came from Tractor Supply Company, and it was super rootbound, and the main root was circling the pot. I tried my best to fix it in planting, but don’t think I did a great job. I figured I’d give the tree a chance instead of returning it since it would’ve just been tossed. It could be that the root system doesn’t have the ability to get enough water to the leaves, especially now that it’s been somewhat hot. I’ll give it extra water and see how it does. Maybe new roots will grow and it’ll recover next year.

My only concern was that it might be something that spreads to the other trees, but this doesn’t look like that.

Thanks!

2 Likes

What’s the chances you’ve had no rain in a week or two? And haven’t watered as often as you probably should have?

1 Like

Yes, I think you’re right. It’s been hot but not rainy lately. We did get some rain a bit ago, but our soil drains really quickly. I think the other 3 peaches have better root systems, so maybe aren’t so affected.

1 Like

I can’t help you with your problem but I admire your rescue operation!

1 Like

Glad you mentioned rootbound and the root issue. In your first pic, you can see that several leaves have tips that dry out. Look like a root issue.

Not sure if watering alone could fix the issue.

1 Like

As long as it’s not going to threaten my other trees, I’ll give it the chance to recover. Some branches seem fine … maybe the ones not getting nutrients will die, and others will grow up stronger. I’ll make sure it gets extra water …I’m now hopeful, I would have been sad if it had been something transmissable and I’d had to remove it. As long as I can give it its best shot, I’m okay with what happens.

1 Like

Hi there. I’m no expert, but if it was my tree I’d consider cutting off the dead branches and I’d also remove all the fruits (I’d do this on any first year tree, but especially one that seemed stressed). Good luck!:+1:

1 Like

Thank you! Good idea about the fruits, and the branches.

Lara

I agree with Philbert. My best guess of what it is is bacterial leaf scorch. It is on those lower branches which are less important to the tree. This is not common on peach trees and my guess is the shock of the transplant did it but the tree should recover and do fine.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Best to take a sample in person to your County Agriculture Extension services for a first hand inspection.
Peaches do get shot hole and Peach twig borer.