Please help, what is this fruit?

Hi, I have big problem. I ordered Graviola (Soursop) and got this. I think it is not Graviola but something else. Thank you, Petr.

4 Likes

That looks like Durian.
Also,welcome.

1 Like

Since you tried ordering an Annona, my guess it it may be Rollinia aka Biriba.
They turn totally black. They are extremely short-lived and would not be good candidates for shipping.
DEFINITELY not a soursop.
If it were a durian you could barely breathe right now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think this is an over riped biribá… it should be yellow!

3 Likes

on the same page, Luis!! :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

We post at same time… :grin:

1 Like

It actually could be a Soncoya, Annona purpurea…i almost mentioned that but googling it makes me really consider it…it’s spikier than biriba.

Interesting tidbit - i think this is the tropical annona most similar to pawpaw, Asimina triloba, based on things I’ve read including description by George Zimmerman.
I have not seen or eaten a soncoya. It seems odd to me that it’s not more widely known. But then again, neither is pawpaw!

1 Like

I really think is biriba, soncoya have a different form…

1 Like

an interior picture and flavor report would help, right? :smiley:

Yes, I am still waiting for response of my supplier before I cut it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes but in this case should be inedible by now… :smirk:

new photo, smells like tropical fruit, not as Durian, it is big, weight about 3.2 kg

3 Likes

it can still be guanabana, considering the size. I have grown a guanabana cultivar that looks like that. Of course there are guanabanas that are not as spiky. May also be a hybrid of two species of the annona genus.

it was probably shipped frozen, which explains the black rind, but should still be edible(though not as yummy as a fresh one)

2 Likes

Well just trying we know for shure… :sweat_smile:

yeah, quite intriguing right? Can’t wait for OP to slice it, as the suspense is killing me, lol

1 Like

yeah this is exciting!!!

1 Like

exciting, but it also borders on torture :grin:

1 Like

I do see a couple purported images of guanabana with more pronounced, durian-like spikes. So I could be wrong on my earlier emphatic statement.

I am still waiting for response of my seller. Then I will cut it and send you photos :slight_smile: Thank you for your help.

1 Like

try to sprout the seeds. I wonder if they survive freezing.

3 Likes