Plum curculio 2024

I did my pear and peach couple weeks ago, put couple Surround layers.
My apples were still in bloom, so I put on a very light Surround coat Sunday evening. I should have repeated it on Monday because of the warm temperatures we’re having.

1 Like

Got caught! Here it is…

Short video

That doesn’t look like PC–not ugly enough.

Note the brown/black coloring and bumpiness of the PC.

There are many different curculios, many go after fruits so it isn’t much difference.

I got my first bites maybe ten days ago. With Surround you need to spray right at petal fall or the curc will have a party. So far I have only minor damage but there are three weeks or more where good protection with Surround is needed.

This year things seem better than usual; I tried to be much better about picking up drops last spring compared to previous years and I think it helped. I have a trash bag in the orchard and just plop them in there. Boy that thing stunk in June! Fermented curc. It made an outhouse smell good … not joking.

4 Likes

I use that that anaerobic juice as deer deterrent, in a cheap spray bottle in case it clogs.

Good information from everyone here about the PC problem.

1 Like

Same here, sprayed everything except my apples which are still in bloom

I was out at dawn this morning in the fog and the odor of Imidan from spraying a few days ago gave me peace of mind that my peaches were protected from PC.

1 Like

Have a decent Surround coat already, gives me some peace of mind.

3 Likes