Plum/plumcot id

Can anyone recognize this? Note the pointy bottom…i haven’t opened yet as it feels bit too firm still.

Purchased in metro vancouver, canada but of unknown origin.

1 Like

No I can’t but if you add a string you will have a Plumb Bob

3 Likes

We have hundreds of plumcots/pluots theses days. It looks like the Dapple series. Dapple Dandy, Dapple Supreme, or Dapple Jack, or Dapple Fire. Although some non Zaiger plumcots look like that too. Is the flesh red? The Dapples have red flesh.

2 Likes

Flavor Grenade.

2 Likes

It has darkened and this is what it looks opened…Brix about 16…quite delicious. Taste resembles what I suspect was a red heart last year tho flavor wasn’t as explosive but that may be due to early harvesting.

4 Likes

Elephant Heart plum.

4 Likes

Is there any chance you are in Vancouver and would sell some to me? I had plucots while on vacation with my kids. We loved them, but I cant find anywhere to buy them locally.

1 Like

Watermelon Plum from the Ben Door Fruits @ Nurseries a breeder in Isr

Watermelon Plums - Ben Dor Fruits & Nurseries

They are activly breeding for that tear Shark Teeth look

3 Likes

@RDCF unfortunately i bought these from a store that i forgot. Could’ve been costco, superstore, tnt or vandula…

I’d bet a million dollars that is a pluot called Dragon Tears that is exclusively grown by Kingsburg Orchards for the retail grocery market. I got a tree several years ago by accident and I can tell you that when the first ripen they look like your first photo, and when the ripen more they look like your second photo. They have the tear shape, skin matches, and so does inside. THey are probably my favorite stone fruit ever but sadly my tree has a horrible case of black rot and is now dying from it. Here are 2 pics of Dragon Tears.

You may say these look too red, but they have gold- and are mostly gold until they get dead rips.

Here they are before they get as ripe as those above…

Imgur

Also, neither of these have the tear drop point but I promise most of them do!

1 Like

My mistake, I thought someone was growing them here in Vancouver where I live.

I will try to get a tree for my dad, but I would love to just know a place to get the Plucots locally, they are amazing and we dont have a backyard currently. :slight_smile: Amazing fruit.

1 Like

My reaction after tasting my first pluots was exactly the same as yours…ie my brain said "let figure out how we can find out more of this amazing fruit!?. The good news for you is that thousands if not millions o0f other people also had this same experience and idea, so pluots are becoming more and more common in supermarkets/grocery stores every day/ So keep an eye out in your favorite markets and these guys will likely show up from time to time. Be sure and check back repeatedly- like many fruits, they are seasonal and different varieties of pluots ripen at different times. So if your market doesn’t have them the first time or two that you search, keep looking. Even out local Wal-Mart store has Pluots off and on but at least once a month from Spring to Fall. Happy hunting.

BTW…things may be different in Canada- both in terms of finding them in a supermarket AND in your likelihood of being able to find a tree and grow it up there. Most pluots are rated for zones 5 or 6 up to 10. I don’t know ere you are in Canada or what U.S. Zone it equates to, but thought I should mention it. Good like finding and/or growing these amazing fruits!!!

1 Like

Here in Ontario Loblaws often carries them. Most are from California.

1 Like