Plums and Pluots without black knot

Yes.

1 Like

Damn! It hasnt even been 12 months on this tree and its covered. Weve had so much rain. Other than remove the branch… whats the best way to proceed?

3 Likes

There was just a thread on that subject.

Sorry, that was a mistake.

2 Likes

What is the Grenville plum like ? Wondering if it is worth growing…is the fruit decent ?..I tend to like fruit with lots of flavour and don’t mind a bit of tart zing…rather than just sweet and juice and not much flavour…

1 Like

Hi Andrew, My Grenville hasn’t fruited yet, but it did flower this year so maybe fruit next. Sue

1 Like

The lot of my new house in CT has probably a dozen native cherry trees, all have a lot of Black Knot, some are football sized galls! I am planning to cut all these pretty soon, but all my neighbors have wooded lots and they all most probably have a lot of BK infected native cherry. What do you think folks @alan @BobVance @scottfsmith ; do I have a chance with Euro plums? I already ordered about ten trees for this spring… I am also
planning on about five Japanese plums/Pluots. I will have my trees trained open center and my estimate is that they will get 8-10 hours of sun.

1 Like

It is hard to know without trying. For me it is canker that the wild cherries are a problem for, but they could have also been the cause of some of my knot outbreaks. I also have lots of woods nearby.

2 Likes

I don’t see any wild cherries or plums in my neighborhood. One of my neighbor has a peach tree that she does not spray so it is infected with brown rot every year.

The rest of fruit trees in the neighborhood are in my yard!!. I have 3 E plums in full sun. By year 3, black knot started showing up and it seems to show up more each year. This past fall, I removed 2 large limbs, one from each tree. I wish you luck.

2 Likes

It is probably helpful to eliminate the wild cherries, but I manage 3 plum trees at a site with 2 large wild cherries trees with black knot in them plus the trees get morning shade and we stay ahead of BK by cutting it out of the plums 3 or 4 times a year. If I’m persistent I generally stay ahead but at sites where a customer tells me that don’t want to pay me to do it and that they will instead, there’s a good chance the trees will be lost.

2 Likes

Would it be recommended to stop or reduce summer pruning? In my past experience with pluots, I had to do a lot of summer pruning to control size, perfect tree training and direct growth towards desired limbs.

1 Like

No, summer pruning would probably be a benefit by helping dew dry quickly, but you can always spray the wounds with a bit of clorathalinal. I haven’t noticed a problem of infections stemming from summer pruning wounds. Mostly it is where I’ve removed the BK galls that they show up on large wood. You know you are in a bad season or site when it shows up all over the smallest wood.

1 Like

What’s the best time of year to look for new galls?

Now :blush:. When there are no leaves, it is easy to see/find the knots.

3 Likes

I have an apricot and a carmine jewel dwarf cherry that have never gotten black knot. But i have a lot of wild prunus around the edge of the property that often gets it.

My back yard neighbor has an ornament plum that’s troubled by black knot, so i try to cut it out of my scrub when i see it. But I’m not as aggressive as I’d be if it were my plum suffering, i fear.

I removed my Shiro tree yesterday. I had multiple grafts on it. Some branches had black knots. In short, I have had black knot on both my Euro and Japanese plums.

When apricots get black knot you are probably in a situation of extreme pressure. I manage only one site where that happens and it’s almost impossible to grow plums there. It is wetland that requires growing trees on mounds and has forest immediately to the east so first sun comes late.

I think that the disease resistant varieties of plums we have to grow in the Deep South to avoid bacterial stem canker, are also super resistant to black knot.

3 Likes

NOW, I did an inspection last month. I was out today and found some more. flowers and leaves are days away it only gets harder after that.

1 Like

Tomorrow should be a good day to check for it - no rain til Tues

1 Like

I have been pruning my plums this weekend. Only Satsuma had any knots on it, it had three. I have been pruning my plums to be more open and it has improved my knot situation in the last few years.

2 Likes