Plums in Maine

Oblinaya is clingstone, flavor is good if not fairly typical for a Japanese type. It’s nice and early and seems somewhat pest and disease resistant, which makes it a winner in my yard. Just started picking them, only Kuban Comet is earlier.

7 Likes

I’ve been searching for early plums. Which of those would you say is the best?

1 Like

Purple Heart is my fav, but you will need another early blooming Japanese type to pollinate

1 Like

Are there any self pollinating plums that are good for zone 6?

1 Like

Nothing that is alleged to bear as consistently with or without a pollinator, but you can start with one tree and graft other varieties on it. J. plums are real easy. Choose a vigorous, relatively cold hardy variety like Shiro and add to it once it is plugged in.

1 Like

Can you link the recipe? I may be making some Nadia Cherry Plum and/or AU Producer jam this weekend.

1 Like

Mid season assortment

12 Likes

I just made the connection to Facebook.

2 Likes

Nice. I’m thinking that anyone with a nice sunny spot in his yard should grow at least one fruit tree of the most reliable variety in his area.

The lowest quality fruit I grow is about equal to the best I can get at Whole Foods.

4 Likes

What are the small yellow and purplish plums? They are the size of Mirabelles, but I wouldn’t think Mirabelles are mid season in Maine.

1 Like

Hi Jesse,
What is your process for germination of hybrid plums? Do you know if hybrids are usually true to the variety when grown from seed?

I bought these from a local store for taste testing and I’m saving the seeds to see if I can grow them out. I hope to locate scions for Superior and Toka next spring, last spring I ordered from a nursery but the scions came with buds already breaking out, so the grafts were unsuccessful.
Dennis
Kent, wa

2 Likes

The small yellows look like Geneva Mirabelle, are they or are they a wild one?
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like

Emerald Beaut is supposed to be a Japanese plum, that apparently walks and talks like a pluot.

2 Likes

Beach plums

2 Likes

Beach plum

1 Like

Are the red ones also beech plums

2 Likes

In California Emerald Beaut plum harvesting in October so I don’t think good idea for planting it in western Washington. I just like something harvest before raining season. A lot of European plum has worms in the fruits if they ready to pick in raining season here.

1 Like

Small red/purple are beach plums like the small yellow as well- they are selections from Rutgers Dr Uva

1 Like

Dave Wilson says Emerald Beaut begins harvest in mid August. Apparently they can hang on the tree for months, but they are available now:

2 Likes

@JesseinMaine or @JesseS Did you end up trialing the Toka crosses for fruit? If so, how did they turn out?

1 Like