Pluot Problems?

Throughout my mini-orchard many of the young fruit trees are making orange-ish/red-ish leaves with some of them looking droopy or with a pattern of holes or curling up or…
Here are two photos of Flavor Supreme Pluot leaves that look worse today than yesterday. Also, I have a photo of ill-looking pear leaves with a pattern of holes on one, a messed up Medlar, a very strange growth on a service berry (not an insect), and a branch of a hardy kiwi with very rapid growth and essentially no leaves. I realize this is a lot to deal with and it all started with the Pluots, but I noticed that within two days (after some very heavy rains) almost every tree had a lot of very red or orange leaves that were also curled or otherwise ill-looking. I do search far and wide on the interwebs first for images/info, but, no dice. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Pluot

Pluot

Pear

Medlar

Serviceberry

Hardy Kiwi

I don’t think photos 1,2, and 4 are a problem at all. That’s just typical, healthy new growth as it appears on my trees. Over time, those redish tips and leaves will begin to turn darker green and stiffen up. At least that is how it works on my plums and pluots. If anything, I actually like seeing that- its a sign of healthy growth that is happening faster than the plant can keep up with. But lets see what others say.

2 Likes

I also think that orangeish growth is fine. It is very typical in spring in the cold weather. The leaves cannot absorb something (iron, maybe) in the cold temperatures and it gets them reddish tint. They will be back as soon as it gets warmer. The curling of the leaves happens when it is too wet, the other reason is insects, look for aphids and such. Kiwi shoots also look normal to me.

1 Like

Agreed, the new growth on my plums and pluots look like that.

1 Like

Thanks responders! I look up diseases and I look up pests and I find nothing that looks like the problem I am seeing. It happened with the frost damage on my grapes…looked awful, but it wasn’t a disease or pest. It, too, was weather related and it went away on it’s own…sigh. Thanks again.

the leaves are dry, red or brown that is that the leaves are very tender due to rapid growth

I made up some fertilizer water today and gave them all a dose…very gentle, organic stuff. I diluted it even more and sprayed it on the worst spots. I did that last year when I realized most plants were suffering from deficiencies, probably because my alkaline well water was messing with the absorption of many nutrients. I realize that there are differences in these situations but some similar problems from the plant’s point of view. The response last year was quick and positive. Hopefully, this was an OK move that I did today. Though my current dilemma is kind of a normal or common situation, the leaves on some of these little trees really look bad. I appreciate the reassurance.