Pollinate or not peach

I purchased a bare root June Gold peach a few weeks ago at Costco and I planted it in full sun, as the instructions stated. When I bought it, it was brown with no foliage and little roots, but in the inside, the few branches were green. It has developed leaves already, and I water it regularly. I live in the coastal part of North Carolina and we get lots of heat and rain in the summer, and mild winters. I was looking for advice on whether I need to get a second one for the peach tree to produce fruit or good fruit.

1 Like

The vast majority of peaches are self-fruitful. So I suggest you plant a second peach tree. Even self-fruitful trees give better results when cross pollinated.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reply! Now I can convince my mother to get another!

1 Like

No need for a second peach tree. One peach will give your more fruit by year 4 and 5. It can start setting fruit by year 3.

Do not overwater peach trees. They don’t like wet foit. Only water when soil around the tree is dry. You can stick a finger in the soil for an inch, if it is still moist do not water it.

3 Likes

Would there be any benefit in having 2 or not at all?

1 Like

The obvious benefit is that you will have two different varieties of peaches to eat. A benefit of having two of them cross pollinating each other is not crucial.

If you choose to buy another peach tree, make sure you buy one with a different ripening time. Each peach tree can produce hundreds of peaches (don’t forget to thin them well). You don’t want to get buried in several hundreds of peaches ripened all at the same time.

3 Likes