Pomegranate bloom?

I have a couple pomegranate trees that are about 3 years old. When do they normally bloom. I had to them bloom once but a couple years ago they froze almost all the way back. They have regrown to about 6’ now. All my other trees have already bloomed and set fruit but the pomegranate shows no signs of blooming. Do pomegranates usually bloom a little bit later?

1 Like

Ours in so cal are just pushing leaves now. Last year they bloomed around the end of May.

2 Likes

Yes, pomegranates bloom later than most other fruit trees. Mine just show some buds now but no flowers open yet (Northern Cal, 9b). The bloom usually starts early-mid May here. They however keep pushing new flowers for a long time, as late as July sometimes.

2 Likes

I live in Virginia and have 2 great pomegranate ‘trees’ - (Mine are trained as shrubs.)
They are probably 8 years old, or more. Right now, they still look ‘dead as a doornail’. But, new plants which arrived in the winter, and have been kept dormant in my garage, are all leafing out.
It was a rough winter, though . . . so my old guys may take awhile to perk up.
When pomegranates are dormant - they look as though they are dead! Grey and brittle. But, in most cases - they come back to life once it warms up a bit.

Blooms June-July in the bay area 9b for me.
Pomegranates sets flower buds at tips of last years and current year stems - so aggressive winter pruning will reduce bloom set.

2 Likes