Pomegranate Dieback

I have been growing this pomegranate for a few years and it has done well. However, this winter/spring, despite there not being any late freeze or severe cold, 2/3 of the tree didn’t leaf out. Anyone know why this would happen? My other pomegranates look great.

If your winter was anything like mine in SE Michigan, with cool temps followed by a false spring in February (we hit the mid-70’s for a week) followed by a return to cold , then what happened is your pom started awakening only to be hit by another blast of cold.

Once plants get their required chill hours, they can be awakened and then killed back by temperatures far warmer than temps that would be safe had the warm-up never occurred.

2 Likes

I see it’s along the road, perhaps some runoff really impacted it. I know we had a really raining January and February, I assume you also did. Anything else near the street looking like it’s suffering?

1 Like

That happens a lot in warm winters and springs, they are very very cold sensitive when they are not fully dormant, and cold hits. Leaves will probably come out later, I think that your plant is acting like another cold spell could be coming, so it’s coming out of dormancy very slowly, much slower than normal. The flowers might even come out before all the leaves do.

1 Like

I have another Pom and 3 figs to the left of it and they all look great.

1 Like

My season started early March and missed a couple close calls for freeze. What happened to yours has happened to my Poms before, but all of my others look great this year. Here is another that is unprotected in the center of the yard.

2 Likes