Pomegranate spraying for mid-Atlantic?

Hi all. This year after 8 years in ground for Lyubimi and about 6 years for Suhr Anor I’m getting a little production off of these two (maybe 10-15 fruit for Lyubimi and 4-6 for Suhr anor). However about half of the fruit exhibits this sort of rot at the crown shown in pics below. Unfortunately I did not pick off the lone 2 that were like this before the storm we just had and now about 50% have this. Any thoughts on what this is or what to spray with/when for future crops? Not too much info online.
————-
FYI Russian from EL which I suspect is Salavatski has not done as well in my trials as these 2, not as hardy nor productive. Al sirin nor didnt make it past one or two winters. Kazake did well hardy wise but I took it out before it could fruit. These two and Entekhabi Saveh are probably my mid-Atlantic winners if I can come up with a spray. This rot thing doesn’t let enough of them ripen. Last year those that had the crown rot finally had the rot spread down the fruit with about 4 weeks left to go to ripen. Very slowly progressing rot, spans about 2 months or so before it finally trashes the fruit.

3 Likes

Pooya, I wonder if Michael from EdibleLandscaping would have any suggestions on what can be done about this fungal issue? That’s where I purchased my Lyubimi from.

1 Like

Standard rot spray chemicals would help. It looks closest to black rot…

2 Likes

Great ideas! Very helpful as I was clueless. so it sounds like it’s fungal. Maybe copper or immunox. Thanks!

After the treatment, how many fruit ended up ripening ok?

So probably captan. I agree with black rot/anthracnose but maybe small chance of calcium deficiency like seen in blossom end rot.

1 Like

If you look in the other threads it is a common issue for east coast growers. If anyone has success with a spray, please let us all know.

I don’t think it is blossom end rot, since it happens in my in ground and potted plants alike. I’ve actually ripened a few this year because the rot didn’t effect some late setting fruit as badly due to our non-existent rain through most of the summer and early fall. So one benefit of the drought…

1 Like