Pomegranate Success! in Mid-Atlantic. I live in Chesapeake VA, which is very near the coast. We have HOT humid summers, but I have had success with my pomegranates

These went in the ground in Spring of 2018. They were pretty decent sized plants - maybe 18" - 24" ? I had received them in the fall of 2017 and repotted them into 10 gal fabric pots. They spent the winter in the garage - growing roots. Then I planted them in the spring. So, this is the second spring they’ve seen - out in the ‘orchard’.
There are 25 out there. Only doubles of ‘Wonderful’, Salavatski and Afganski. All the rest are different varieties.

I don’t know if they will form fruit this year or not. They are still pretty spindly . . . and may not support a pomegranate’s weight. I’ll be curious to see!

Crimson Sky. That is Nikitski Ranni, right? The ones with double names get me confused! Keep me posted!

4 Likes

I’ve always wondered how pomegranates held onto their large fruits since the flowers come off the new growth from what I understand. I could see it plausible that some might make pom cradles to keep the ‘babies’ from breaking off.

Edible Landscaping, where I got my pom, lists Crimson Sky as Nikitskii Ranii. Crimson Sky was just easier for me to remember–much fewer “I’s” :sweat_smile: I was very surprised it survived a hard freeze and frost after leafing out with very little damage. Having it against a south facing brick wall must help.

3 Likes

It’s one of the ‘toughies’ - very hardy. Crimson Sky.
So are Salavatski and Afganski - and the others I mentioned. All supposed to do well in cold climates. You should hedge your bets and get a couple more varieties - if you can - just in case you lose one. ?

I got my Crimson Sky from Rolling River, I think. ? But, I have bought some from Edible Landscaping too. I’d love to visit their place . . . as it’s not too far from me. 3 hours, probably.

4 Likes

I make the trip out to Edible Landscaping about every other year or so. I think it’s about 2 hrs for me… each way. Well worth it though.

4 Likes

I know of a gentleman who ripened Salavatski only a few miles from my house so poms are possible in PA! However, I do not know how productive his tree was, how many fruit it yielded, and with what regularity he got fruit over the years. I might get another pom for pot culture since I have good success with figs that way. There’s not much space left in the yard to experiment, but I gave that Nikiskii Ranii the best spot possible. Next to it are several figs that have done well over the years and they are only marginal in my area.

4 Likes

@PomGranny you get flowers around the same time as I do in a very warm climate. When do you usually start harvesting fruits?

1 Like

@ammoun
Ben, my Granada’s fruit doesn’t fully ripen until very end of summer. The Wonderful used to ripen a bit later . . . in the fall. Sept/Oct ? The fruit will set all through the spring - and well into the summer. And then ripen and hang until I pick the last one . . . usually in November. It died back a few winters ago - and I haven’t had any Wonderful fruit again, since then. But, it has blossoms right now - so perhaps they will mature to fruit.

It is planted right next to what I believe is a Granada. I’m quite sure that it is . . . because it begins ripening a few weeks earlier and tastes very similar. (a bud sport of the Wonderful variety) Maybe a little less tart. Fruit looks about the same. Very good quality fruit. A little cracking . . . but not much. No interior rot. But, I do fight that ‘black spot fungus’. I would guess that I harvest around 30 fruits from the Granada . . . so far, in a good year. By the looks of it - this year may be a bumper crop!

The Wonderful, on the right in this photo taken last night did not produce for years and years. I thought it never would . . . when ‘lo and behold’ - we got some fruit for the first time EVER (about 8 years ago?) I was so tickled!

And that is when I started looking for other varieties.

Here are the two that bear fruit. Plus one more (middle one) . . . which has never even bloomed. It is 10 years old. And if I remember correctly . . . it is a ‘Sweet’ variety. But, not sure. At the time I wasn’t aware of all of the possibilities in varieties. It may be an ‘Angel Sweet’ - or another of the ones more commonly seen. Whatever it is - it has died back a couple of times and never seems to mature enough to do anything productive! I may yank it out at some point, to give the other 2 the benefit of the water and nutrients it uses.

My pomegranates, in my landscape near my driveway . . . left to right . . .
Granada. ‘mystery Sweet’. Wonderful. The Wonderful is the eldest.

10 Likes

@Marvin72
I don’t know how . . . but I totally missed this old post of yours.

You wrote - I was wondering , can lime sulfur be used as a dormant spray on pomegranate? I see that copper has not netted good results.

I used regular old generic ‘orchard dormant oil’ this past winter! And - I can’t promise - but it looks like it did a pretty darn good job. I should mention that I made an effort to clear out the old wood chip mulch. Sprayed the ground with copper spray as fungicide. Let it sit open to air/sun for almost a month . . . then spread about an inch layer of ‘bagged compost with manure’ in the entire area. Sprinkled it generously with 10-10-10, too.
The 3 that got this ‘treatment’ look healthier than ever . . . . . so we’ll see how things go.

3 Likes

Thanks Pomgranny. I used copper again and also dormant oil. Unfortunately my crimson sky has developed black spots on most leaves again this spring. Also fireblight strikes !!! 1 or 2 tips were infected. I removed most of each branch. Humid weather of Atlanta has decimated my 2 nd year fruit trees. Various ailments all over my trees.

2 Likes

My Afgani and Nikitskii Ranii are in bloom now. They are both in ground in 2018. The trees are still young, but I am hoping to see a few fruits this year if lucky.
Afgani seems more cold hardy than Nikitskii Ranii because Nikitskii Ranii had damaged branches each year, but no damages on Afgani at all. I did wrap them up using burlap.

PS: Nikitskii Ranii is Crimson Sky

2 Likes

My Nikitskii Ranii was planted in 2018 also. It is 4 ft tall now as it was 2 ft when i planted it. Flowers are blooming but continue to fall off soon after opening. Zone 8A so no freeze damage as our lows seldom fell below 22 degrees last winter. Fingers crossed .

2 Likes

Great looking spot in your yard, very neat!

3 Likes

Tons of my blooms have dropped, too. I am anxious to see how many have been pollinated and will develop into fruit. We have had the wettest spring that I can remember . . . and I hope that the ‘black spot’ fungus will not show up again!

2 Likes

@PomGranny, I just wanted to thank you for sharing your love for pomegranates on this forum. Before finding this forum I never would have considered that I might be able to grow poms… they just seem so exotic. I’m in quite a different climate in Southern Oregon, but seeing your and other successes on the forum was inspiring. I now have an Eversweet and a Parfianka that we’re both planted in spring 2019 and they are just such beautiful plants. Even if I never get a fruit, the beauty of the plants and the flowers make them worth growing. Now I’m going to try air layering for the first time so I can plant more of these awesome plants in my landscape. Can’t thank you enough!

7 Likes

I’ve got 2, one in ground and a less hardy softseed in a pot. Both have grown and are flowering, but I don’t think either one is setting at all.

2 Likes

I have a pomegranate that was sold as a Russian hardy type and it has a double blossom. I thought only ornamental types had double blossom.

9 Likes

Nope I have a double bloom fruiting variety, yet they are very very rare, not sure if there are any Russian double blooming varieties, actually I am not sure if there are any varieties like that besides the variety I have, there might be more than one variety in Texas that does, I am very confused by what I have been told, yet there is at least one and I have it. This is the first year we might have fruit from it.

Did you check with your source?

2 Likes

Hi Phil ! Thanks so much for your post. I’m always glad to hear from another PomPerson on this forum.

I am going to post a .pdf which Shane, at the Alabama Pomegranate Association put together. Using it, I was able to choose varieties I was interested in according to ‘taste’ and description of seed hardness. More importantly - This list has been extremely helpful in identifying pomegranate varieties that might fare better than others, in my climate.

@Philbert Off the top of my head . . . I would suggest that you try Salavatski, Kazake, Lyubimyi “Favorite”, Agat and/or Afganski - in Oregon. I know these to be very cold-hardy.

Are your poms in pots? Also - what are your low temperatures in Oregon? I’ll bet you have similar ‘humidity’ problems, as I do in VA. I always battle the fungus that produces black spots on the fruit. The interior of my fruit is fine . . . but the outside is damaged by these fungal areas. Obviously, pomegranates like drier conditions than I have to offer, in Eastern VA. I keep trying different ‘fungal solutions’, (literally)! I’m using the Bee Safe 3-in-One this summer.

I learned one big lesson this year, which really seems to be paying off with all of my pomegranates.
I had been timid with the fertilizer, in the past - not wanting to burn the feeder roots. This year, in late winter, I raked away the old mulch and spread manure with compost all around the base of my more mature trees. AND I broadcast 10-10-10 under the drip line of each tree - even around the young ones which had been planted for over a year. WOW - I have blossoms and healthy growth like I’ve never seen before! Now - I just hope that the young trees will hold onto a few of the fruit that are forming! This pic is the very young fruit on my older Grenada, which I planted in my landscape, years ago. Even on these immature fruits, you can see what might be the beginnings of this year’s black fungus.

Philbert and others who are growing pomegranates, please post more photos of your pomegranates, as the summer progresses!

@GeorgiaGent I am not aware of a cold-hardy double-flowered Russian variety. But, perhaps I just never noticed that in any of the literature. I certainly have not seen any of those offered for sale, with that description . . . but that does not mean that there isn’t one! I think that I’ve read about other poms with double blossoms - ornamental, as you said. Maybe with very small fruit, if any at all? I have the same double-blossom variety as @alanmercieca . ‘Faye’s Paintbrush’ - which I believe to be El Paso #1 - (but Alan would be the expert on that). He was kind enough to share a young plant with me a few years ago. I kept it in a pot for a couple of years - and then planted it out in the field this spring. I didn’t get any blooms, so far, this spring - but it could still flower. __

Note: We’ve decided to try the ‘cardboard mulch method’. Keeping the weeds and grass away from the base of 20-some pomegranate shrubs has not been an easy task! So, I went to Sam’s Club and loaded my cart with the large sheets of cardboard that they put between the stacks of cans, etc. We will have to add layers, as the ‘mulch’ deteriorates . . . but it is killing the grass and weeds under the trees - and keeping the mowers away from the outer branches! It also makes it much easier to remove the dropped blossoms - and to spray, if we need to - without risking hitting the plants. I will post updates on the ‘success - or not’ of this method of mulching.

If anyone else has had experience with ‘Cardboard Mulch’ - good or bad - please comment about that! Thanks! - Karen

Faye’s Paintbrush

ListOfVarieties-AlabamaPomAssoc.pdf (154.5 KB)
I edited this list to include all of my ‘notes’ and records of ‘my’ varieties - and those I’m interested in. I didn’t save a copy of an un-edited version, but you can get one from Alabama Pomegranate Association. (They have a facebook page, too.)

6 Likes

Pomegranates are very easy to propagate by rooting dormant cuttings. I do this all the time and most pomegranate plants that I have I rooted myself. I grow 30+ varieties.

5 Likes

There is no variety named “Russian hardy”. If somebody sells it they either don’t care or try ripping customers off.

1 Like