Things are looking very ‘fungal’ out in my pomegranate orchard.
The Austin has shriveling new growth, as do several others. Caused, apparently by Colletotrichum pathogen.
Some of the others have damaged fruit, already . . . also fungal related. Blackened calyxes. Also what looks like ‘blossom end rot’ in pomegranates - in the blossom stage.
I found a couple of helpful articles published by the extension service at University of FL - ‘IFAS’. I used to work there, coincidentally . . . as a graphic designer - when I was in school. I feel that I’ve gone full circle - as now I am looking to them for answers as to how to deal with these fruit diseases. They are doing studies and trying to come up with cultivars that will resist the problems brought on by trying to grow pomegranates in the Southeast.
I think that if I get through a couple more years with the varieties I have - I’ll have certain ones left ‘standing’ and others culled out due to disease. This has been an extremely wet spring - but never the less . . . it is probably way too humid here, even in a dry year, for many of the varieties I’m trying to grow.
I’ve made a chart - to record the problems each variety is having - and whether it will hold onto any viable fruit, etc. I’ll be reporting my experiences, here . . . for those who are interested.