Pomegranate Success! in Mid-Atlantic. I live in Chesapeake VA, which is very near the coast. We have HOT humid summers, but I have had success with my pomegranates

I will also be updating on the disease resistance of mine too. This year has been one of the wettest spings/early summers I have ever seen here. So it’s a great test. Were you live is even wetter because you are much closer to the ocean.

2 Likes

Here is info about ‘Faye’s Paintbrush’, I just updated the description of it https://www.foodplace.info/Bountiful_Figs/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=696&p=6201#p6201

2 Likes

I just went out and took a shot of ‘Faye’s Paintbrush’. It looks good. No leaf damage. No blossoms yet. :+1:t2:

So far the cardboard is working pretty well to keep weeds from encroaching . . . And it’s cheap enough - FREE! But it will take layering it, to maintain it. I like that we can spray around the border and not come near the trunks of the trees. Hope the trees will get the moisture they need - and the board won’t be a deterrent.

Afganskis and Ambrosia seem to be the ‘weak links’. Afganski blossoms got rot. They were covered in blooms, but almost all rotted and dropped. And Ambrosia had dieback on tips of new growth - and looks like it’s struggling. I also lost half of my Bala Miursal ! One entire side had leaves turn yellow and drop off. I made a quick decision to chop those trunks down. Now, the remaining half is doing OK. Even has one fruit on it!

Bala Miursal. What’s left of it! And below - its one fruit!

The Afganski below is one of two. This one did not lose as many flowers as the other.

Salavatski is the ‘winner’, so far - of all my new varieties. The fruit remains healthy at this point and trees are in good shape. (I have 2 Salavatskis)

Salavatski #1

Salavatski #2

I see a LOT of fungal spray in my future. I used Bee Safe 3-in-1 on my older Grenada, and it seems to have helped. I’ll keep spraying and see if the fruit can dodge the majority of the fungal problems of the last few years.

6 Likes

Have you tried Utah Sweet? Bought a couple of them this year and hope someone else has tried them to report. Couple hours away now, but I went to school in Great Bridge.

2 Likes

Hi Robert! I live out near Fentress Airfield. I’m sure you know the area! We lived in Great Bridge, right near the old high school, until we bought land on Blackwater Road. Small world, huh?
I have not tried Utah Sweet. They say it is somewhat cold hardy - but there is an older thread here on the forum (2016) that doesn’t sound ‘hopeful’ for my zone 7B.
Are you a couple hours north of Great Bridge? or south?
If you are south - I’ll bet that Utah Sweet will have a better chance of survival.

1 Like

I’m now north in 7A at the corner where Va/Wv/Md meet. The utah sweet was on a whim with some others I ordered. For me I think they are going to be like figs. A crop every some odd years. Also, listening to others. Sounds like every other fruit on the east coast they will need constant spraying. Back when I lived in Chesapeake it was nothing but farms, woods, and swamp. In case you were unaware, muscadines can be found growing in the woods there. I used to pick them up from the ground as a kid.
@PomGranny

3 Likes

My Afganski has 4 fruits now. Finally after 3 years in ground. I hope they will ripe in Oct. keep my fingers crossed.

Question: see photo #2. should I remove the smaller fruit and only keep the bigger one?

8 Likes

Hi, Robert,
Then you are not far from me. I guess. What else pomegranates do you grow now?
Nova

1 Like

I moved from NOVA out here past leesburg following the dream of affordable houses. I am just now getting into the pom game. Been a little hesitant because everyone on the east coast never seems to have any massive pom harvest stories. I was thinking of trying the salevetski (I think spelled right). They claim it is fruiting in PA, but I think it is more likely fruiting every so often in PA. I think they are going to do as the figs did. Young they struggled, but with each year I saw less and less die back.
@NoVA

3 Likes

@NoVA
I was advised, by a seasoned ‘pom man’, not to thin them.
Why don’t you do a little experiment and thin a few - and see if it results in a BIG pomegranate on those you’ve thinned. ?
OOPS. I see that you only have 4 fruits.
OK - maybe you should wait until next year to launch the experiment! :grin: If it was me - I’d go with ‘not thinning’ - and keep all four!

@Robert
I am having good luck with Salavatski. I have 2. Both have a lot of fruit for such young plants - One has 12 and the other 15. Even more importantly - they seem to be healthier and more fungus free than many of the other cold-hardy poms. So far!
Afganski set even more fruit - 22. But that has had some fungal issues. Maybe out near Leesburg . . . you won’t encounter that problem, however.
I’d recommend Nikitski Ranni, as well. All three of those are hearty and hardy !

3 Likes

My Salavatski is also fruiting this year (left it off my list above oops). It has relatively been one of the more productive ones.

I haven’t seen that on figs or poms. I have some 18-year old figs still dying back most years. I have poms 12 years old, still not fruiting much. Your weather might be a little better, but for me pomegranates are just a novelty… a couple fruits every 4-5 years kind of thing.

3 Likes

I put the poms in as a novelty expecting as much. Planted in the middle of some evergreens to kind of protect from winds. Don’t really expect much, but I would like to see at least something to justify it’s space. How often has the salavatski cropped for you?

2 Likes

Maybe three times in 12 years. I only ended up with a couple fruits total as many rotted.

1 Like

Thanks for the input!
I will keep all of them and see if they will ripen in time. I counted again this afternoon. It got 5 not 4. :grin: let’s hope for the best.

Below is a photo of the pomegranate tree my neighbor has. It can produce at least 100 fruits each year without thinning obviously. The trunk size is substantial. Today I take a closer look. The fruit skin looks greenish. Will try to find out the variety someday.

7 Likes

Many of my fruits have green skin. And many have red! I thought maybe it was the difference in amount of sun they receive, but that does not seem to be the case. There are many on the interior of the trees that are red, and they don’t get much sun. Of course - there are varieties that do have green coloring, even when ripe. But, I have not had any mature fruits from these, yet. Are your neighbors’ green even when they are ripe?

1 Like

I use to grow them but I had an issue with stink bugs, they love to lay their eggs in the young fruits. I have seen a large amount coming out of
the little hole, a dozen or more. These guys are hard to control. I hate them more than anything.

2 Likes

@Drew51
I don’t want to write about poms in cornus thread, so putting it here :slight_smile:
Pomegranates do very well here in ground. I am growing them for about 6 years and had no dieback yet. I can grow only early varieties though, Salavatski is the latest that can ripen to so so condition. I got Rannii, Surh Anor, Sumbar, Acco, Nikitskij Rannii, Sugarful, Gulosha Red (or Pink) and Sverkhranii and getting some new one that should be even earlier - August Goradon.
The books say 10F as the killing temperature but they survived 5F (without any dieback with the exception of wood that’s not lignified). From my observation the true enemy is not the lowest temperature but fluctuating spring temperatures and frequent late frosts. We don’t have that so they stay dormant for a long time and survive just fine. Congrats on poms in pots, it’s much harder to make them fruit like that.

4 Likes

What zone are you in?

1 Like

Good info thanks. I have my hopes on Granada which is the earliest I have found. No point in growing in ground here. It’s just too cold. Funny too because I’m actually south of you. I have a few but only when I could get free cuttings. I probably will discard them except for Al Sirin Nar, Granada, and Salavatski.
I had Sumbar but failed to root it. Looking for cuttings. I may buy some.
I’m getting rid of Gissarskii Rozovyi and Parfianka . If anybody wants cuttings, now is the time to ask. The former is small, so small diameter cuttings. The latter is huge so plentiful scion.

1 Like

I am in Chesapeake VA - near Va Beach . . . which is officially 8A.